Watching h.264 HDTV broadcasts in Mediaportal's MyTV (1 Viewer)

MrMartin

Portal Member
October 27, 2005
Hello

I use FireDTV together with Mediaportal´s MyTV and it works great so far.
I live in Sweden and as soon as the Football World Cup begins, our terrestial provider "Boxer" will broadcast all matches in 720p on mpeg4 h.264.

Now i wonder, will i be able to watch the broadcast in Mediaportal's MyTV?
I dont need to timeshift or record...only thing that is important is the possibility to watch the game :)

Atm i use Nvidias Purevideo codec for TV, but Dscalers and Intervideo codecs works too. Will i need to use other codecs to be able to see the h.264 broadcasts? Any recommended?

All i need is a clear answer if h.264 will be supported in Mp´s MyTV :D

Thanks in advance
Martin

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
Since you give the answer yourself (codecs) I don't see why wouldn't be supported?

It is the way to go after all (every DVB-S/T/C broadcast will move to h.264 eventually).

andro

Portal Member
October 9, 2005
true... it is the way to go.

Unfortunately I don't think mediaportal supports it at this time or will support it before the world championship.

I am in the same situation: my cable provider is also providing HDTV content now and I would like to view it in mediaportal.

1) You need to upgrade the firedtv to receive the hdtv signals (patch is availlable in beta at www.firedtv.com).
2) MP needs to be able to see the hdtv channels. In my case it only sees the 'digital television service (1)' type and not the 'reserved for future use (25)' on wich they are broadcasting. This means that MP will not see the channels in my case!! A program like mytheatre (tv dvb viewer) does see the channels and you can experiment with that.
3) HDTV needs a pretty fast computer to decode the mpg2/4 signals. In mytheatre I have trouble finding the right codec that won't crash my computer and get a clear picture without delay.

I am sure the developers would love us to test any configurations the moment they decide to start with hdtv signals. But personally I think at the moment they are too busy with getting a stable release out before starting anything new. So I am guessing we are out of luck with viewing the WC soccer on our mediaportals.

regards,

Ronald

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I also live in Sweden and am desperately trying to find a way to watch the World Cup in HDTV.
I have brought up the topic a few times before and just the other day I was lucky to have Dman answer my question. As you might now he is the tv-card-guy among the devs.

Have a look here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=15646&highlight=h264+cup

As you can read in the thread I am afraid that MediaPortal cannot handle h.264 as long as DVR-MS is used instead of .TS within MP.

After doing some more research it seems like the program DVB-viewer combined with a h.264 codec might do the trick. Have not tested it though.

Let's keep this thread alive and if it is okey with the people in charge it would be nice if we could post some advice as to what other application to use as long as MP cannot support this.

We promise we will only be unfaithful during the Word cup! :wink:

Jorgen_CAB

Portal Member
February 7, 2006
Halmstad
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
If it helps i followed this link...
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t12150.html
...and now I can watch h.264 material within MediaPortal without any problem, even 1080P trailers from apple runs smoothe, i just rename the .mov to .mp4.

I'm pretty sure you can't use timeshift with HDTV, but if you disable the timeshift you might be able to see it with an Nvidia card and the PureVideo decoder.

Provided that you can catch the signal on your digital tuner that is...

luksmann

Portal Pro
November 10, 2005
Home Country
Austria Austria
HDTV would work fine - if it wasn't for DVB-S2 (the successor to DVB-S)

Acctual Tv-Cards *do not* support DVB-S2, so you'll have to go and buy a new one - which won't be supported by MP afaik...

Most Channels will switch to DVB-S2 (better support, better picture, more possibilities, ... ), in Austria/Germany this has already happend. The Channels keep making HDTV advertisment - never mind that nobody can watch it...

I only know about one Tv-Card which is able to recieve and decode DVB-S2

If I find the link, I'll post it here...

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Luksmann

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
well you are wrong in a few details

1) DVB-S2 won't 100% mean you will have to buy a new card - many yes will need replacement, many others not (I have at least the written reply of one DVB card maker)

2) DVB-S2 = satelite, DVB-T is the latest for digital terestrial, I think there is confusion

3) DVB-S/S2/T or whatever doesn't necessarily mean HDTV

4) why MP won't support DVB-S2? where did you get such info?

luksmann

Portal Pro
November 10, 2005
Home Country
Austria Austria
The "not supported by MP" was my fault...

What i meant was: currently not supported by MP (Afaik) ;)

At least the Hauppauge Cards and the Digital Everywhere Cards are not able to recieve DVB-S2 so you'll need to buy a new card...

Luksmann

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
1) how do you expect some program to support DVB-S2 when there are only 1-2 cards on the planet that do it currently? After all the protocol is not 100% finalized AFAIK (maybe it's 100% in theory but after we see more implementations we'll see updates)

2) if a card doesn't support DVB-S2 now, doesn't mean it will not forever - sometimes it's just an updated firmware or driver issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom