Weather Improvement (1 Viewer)

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
November 16, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
It would be a real nice feature to have if you could add and remove Cities from within the gui. NOT everything, but just adding the city to get a 5 day forcast.

Also, point the radar images, etc... to a local jpg, gif, whatever for those sections that are not filled out.

My wife travels and it would be nice for her to be able to get a quick glimpse of the weather at her destination so she knows how to pack for the trip.

She could add the city real quick, look at the forcast for the next 5 days, and know more about how\what to pack. She does not need radar, uv, wind, etc. Just the 5 day for that city. that really covers it for most people I would think.

I think it would be pretty easy to do, but don't know for sure.

thanks for the consideration.:D

-Manfred-

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Good idea, I can personally use this for planning motorcycling routes.

Try this one for quickly to fetch weather info for any city directly from GUI via virtual keyboard. Compiled for RC3 and Monochrome skin included. Hit the new button in My Weather and it should show some sunshine for you - hopefully :p

P.S. ISO image handling can be broken with this dll as sources are not plain RC3. I will do a clean RC3 dll version shortly - this is just a sneak peek while waiting comments that this weather improvement is working ok.

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2006
    Home Country
    Cool, I will test this as soon as I can.

you all ROCK!!!

will post results

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2006
    Home Country
    Ok, this is a good first step. Wife used it and had a couple of suggestions.

1. The location of where and how to get a new cities weather info is NOT intuitive. She kept trying to go to the "City" button (which makes since).

2. The City that get entered should be added to the list of cities so if a person wants to double check the weather for that city, they can just click it.

3. The ability to remove a city from the list of cities.

Basically have it work like adding a city from setup, it gets added to the list of cities, but without adding radar, etc. I think that would be perfect.

-Manfred-

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I changed it so that City button's last menu item is 'Select Location' (localized string). So no more confusing extra buttons or skin edit. This will work with all skins directly out of box.

Storing cities and deleting them is not ideal for this kind of quick weather info as it makes this much more complicated and your list of cities will be eventually long one. It is not so hard to type city name and get weather from GUI compared to opening config tool and restarting MP - isn't it?

This is now in Gen Dev section as source. Push those devs to insert this into MP. Zip is not updated in this thread, only source!

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2006
    Home Country
    typing city names is kind of a pain on a system with no keyboard. not bad, but not great.

Your work has been AWESOME and FAST on this. Greatly appreciated.

As far as the list of cities getting long... well, that is what the "remove" function would be for!!! LOL

Did you update that zip file so I can test it out again? Or can I test it some way?

THANKS

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Seems to me I had this feature in one of the 1.0.0 SVNs, but then in 1.0.1 release it was gone again.
    What's the scoop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom