[other] Weather plugin (1 Viewer)

Mikeyy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    This will probably not be on your "must do" list but I'll suggest it anyway.

I have problems with weather.com since it has very few cities in my country. For example my city isn't listed there, closes city in Croatia that is listed is 45km from me.
    Generaly it has very poor covering of my country since even bigger cities then mine are not listed there.

Firefox plugin is using AccuWeather.com which has much better coverage.

So my question is, is it possible to somehow get data from accuweather?
    Or for you to implement it in future so we can choose between two of them.

Thank you.

P.S. If I missed something and there is already way to get data from Accuweather please point me in right direction.

chret

Portal Member
    February 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I agree, I have the same problem here in Switzerland.
    Didn't know AccuWeather.com before, alwasy used wetter.com, but in both I find the village I live in.
    It would be great if more sites were included.

chret

Portal Member
    February 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Just checked - the XML API is free to use for non commercial projects like MediaPortal. This should make it very easy to implement.

Weather.com and AccuWeather are not that good for Europe, afaik.

Weather.com is one of the best sites for Switzerland (the village I live in with 6000 people is not only found - weather.com actually displays the data of a measuring station located about 300 m from my house).

I think best would be to have the possibility to choose a website as a data source within MediaPortal Weather.
    It's not that the actual site should be replaced, but some more added.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Weather.com fails for smaller Norwegian places as well (luckily I live in a "big" city - by Norwegian standards).

Can some (non-Norwegian) tell me what you think about yr.no?
    Meaning: Does it find your location OK?

Selection from English info:
    yr.no is unique in Europe because of our very detailed weather forecasts and our free data policy.

What can I find on yr.no?
    yr.no offers weather forecasts in English (in additon to Norwegian Nynorsk and Norwegian Bokmål) for more than 700,000 places in Norway and 6.3 million places worldwide.

Detailed forecasts on yr.no
    Hour by Hour
    Next Weekend
    Long term forecast
    Advanced Map

yr.no offers free weather data in XML format for 7 million places around the world. As far as we know, this is the world's largest free weather service.
    If someone feels up to the challenge, here is API doc. ---> http://api.yr.no/weatherapi/documentation

PS: Not trying to hijack thread, but finding alternatives :)

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    At least i can provide a other weather service with InfoService, so i thought about to add a another weather provider to InfoService (there were already some request in the InfoService thread). First i prefered AccuWeather.com because it is used by many other applications, but now yr.no gets good ratings from you and the best thing is, yr.no finds my village (2000 citizens) :D

But the documentation of yr.no seems a little bit weird ... I don't even know how you get to the english documentation Spragleknas :D Anyway i will look into this and let you know the results ;)

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    at first i was for yr.no and i have looked at their usage conditions and all the stuff but the results from the site are a bit weird. depending on the time of the day, it doesn't return any current weather conditions.. and that's a big party breaker imo..

did you try to find your village on accuweather? because it finds mine, with about 500 people :) i have looked at their xml results and they seem to have much more complete service.. so now i'm voting for accuweather, will try to contact them about this..

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Accuweather is lousy in Norway atleast, only offering 4 cities.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Yes please!

(Meaning: Both! :D)

Btw, progress?
    (Not important for me, as I live in one of the "big" cities in Norway)

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Forgot about this...

* yr.no is probably out of the picture (Norwegian documentation and there is no current weather data for many cities, which i find very strange)
    * Accuweather wanted a monthly charge (i better not say what it was but it was huge!)
    * New contestant and probably the winner: Weather Underground

Research progress: 90%
    Implementation progress: 0%

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom