Web interface / remote control for music (1 Viewer)

parody

Portal Member
April 30, 2007
Home Country
England England
Hi All

At risk of covering old ground (I cant find anyone asking this exact question) is there any way of controlling music playback remotely? In the vain of ipimp but for music and album art rather than recordings and schedules.

Basically I dont want to have to turn my power hungry plasma on every time I want to listen to music (nor my laptop to remote, logmein or vnc). Ideally a web interface runnable from a mobile phone or PDA (or iphone if you must) with the ability to show your track listings and choose what to play. I dont use media portal for TV, and am surprised a music based solution has not yet been developed given so many people have sky+ these days, there must be plenty out there who use media portal for music an movies only?

The closest I can think would be to set a playlist up for every album in your collection and use the playlist feature of ipimp and go without album art (and have to buy an iphone). Which leads me onto another question - has anyone tried ipimp from a pda or pc web browser?

Thanks!

cubii

Portal Pro
November 1, 2006
ipimp is usable from pc with googlechrome...

cant get it to work with n82 nokia phone...wrong browser...

nikolajb

Portal Member
October 8, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I've been thinking along the same line. I'm currently ripping all my cds to FLAC and planning to play all music from the HTPC in the future. But firing up the projector (or controlling the HTPC from another machine via VNC) seems like a bit too cumbersome, so I'd really love a full-fledged music remote that allowed me to browse My Music. iPimp looks nice (and thanks about the Chrome advice), but I'm not sure 500 playlists are the optimal solution :)

All other web services seem to be focused on scheduling recordings etc., right?

parody

Portal Member
April 30, 2007
Home Country
England England
absolutely - and surely its easier to do some music list and coverart over a webservice than all the TV scheduling and watching of recorded programs!

nikolajb

Portal Member
October 8, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hmmmm, not really sure about that. I suppose music playback/remote requires more interfacing with the client, while the TV parts rely more on connecting to a database - and I guess the latter is easier to do.

Still, this is what I'd really love to see. Seems like the iPimp project has been making awesome projects over the last three months, so I hope we'll see a full-fledged iPod remote in the near future :)

parody

Portal Member
April 30, 2007
Home Country
England England
googling has found some software called netremote, amoung others, which do exactly what I want using wmp, itunes or winamp. SO its defo possible - would be great to have one that works with MP so no need to have another program running. As for difficulty I wouldnt have a clue.

ipimp on pda would be good - not everyone like the iphone!

parody

Portal Member
April 30, 2007
Home Country
England England
looks like that is just for TV?

I demo'd netremote, signal, and xptunes . None of them work vert well, all quite slow and clunky interfaces. Signal on an iphone (i borrowed one) is fantastic though (uses win amp).

Looks like im gonna have to buy an ipod touch... I can believe the lack of good software for pda to perform what i see as quite an essential task!

nikolajb

Portal Member
October 8, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hey Parody

I think you may find this interesting: There's more remote-support on the way for the iPimp. Sounds extremely promising :)

parody

Portal Member
April 30, 2007
Home Country
England England
if it gets full music with coverart functionality then great... cant wait. still need to buy an apple though unless they do a ppc version. it seems apple formatted content looks terrible on ppc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom