WebEPG setup problem (1 Viewer)

StuckInTheMu

Portal Member
May 3, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm trying to configure WebEPG and getting rather confused.

The set-up itself is fine, everything mapped and it produces the required TVguide.xml in the MediaPortal application data folder. The plug-in to MP is working fine and running it at the specified time.

What is not happening is the import into MP.

According to this page
MediaPortalSetup_WebEPG - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

under "Troubleshooting", there should be an option to specify where the xml file is found, but it does not appear in the quoted menu, or anywhere else I can find.

Help!

Jim

StuckInTheMu

Portal Member
May 3, 2008
Home Country
OK, I hadn't connected XMLTV and WebEPG in my mind, thinking they were different systems entirely.

Just to clarify, is WebEPG just an alternative to the XMLTV processor?

Frantid

Portal Pro
October 11, 2008
Home Country
Iceland Iceland
webepg is an easier to use grabber/screen scaper that will get a listing into an xml form compatible with xmltv. The xmltv plugin in tv server imports and maps the xml file and puts it in the database. Xmltv itself is a separate software set that can do it's own grabbing, formatting. Every time I think of all the work these developers have put into mp -- I am amazed.

iancalderban

Portal Pro
December 12, 2008
milton keynes
Home Country
from my experience this weekend getting myself bootstrapped on MP from scratch the documentation isn't perfect. webepg was my main goal of coming over to MP from vista tv pack...

run webepg.conf to setup your listings and then webepg.
check you tvguigde.xml is generated and check WHERE it is. open it in notepad and check it contains meangful looking information. its just a text file, you shold be able to read channel and program lists in it.

go to the xmltv plugin, enable it and change the directory (on vista at least, the default is wrong, its in a directory I never even new existed!)
go to the second xml plugin tab, load/refresh. check you get a bunch of channels listed and at least some of them match.
hit SAVE in here (I don't see this in the docs anywhere, but for me it seems to be crucial)
go back to the first tab and hit manual import. you should see channels and programs imported both > 0. If not, try some of the below

now I am not 100% sure what is needed
possibly a reboot or two or three
definately go and have a cup of coffee
restart media portal
go and have another cup of coffee
then open tv guide. hopeftull you have some channels with good listings into the future not just now/next (I do)
it seems the import has to be left quite some time to process hence the coffee breaks before being sure its worked (or not)... I had 28000 programs with 14 days of epg.

HTH
Ian

Malin

Portal Member
April 19, 2008
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
How can something that apears so straight forward be so confusing.....

I have had a try with WEBEPG and it creates a TVGuide.xml file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\xmltv,
not in c:\program files TeamMediaPortal \Mediaportal\xmltv as stated somewhere.
I Could'nt understand why the c:\program files TeamMediaPortal \Mediaportal\xmltv was empty after I had run the webepg.exe.
There is also a tvguide.dtd file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\xmltv folder.
Then I point to this folder in TV server configuration XMLTV.
Then under Mappings I pressed refresh and got the error cannot find tvguide.lst (how this file should be generated I could not figure out).
Back to Settings tab unchecked the import tvguide.lst. Then the mappings -> Load/refresh and at last it found something. Phu....

Then I found another EPG grabber application TVxb, but I'll leave that one for now. How is this grabber comparable to all the others?
Now I'll hit the pillow my head hurts....

/Malin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom