weekly recording does not check the showname? (2 Viewers)

wunschkind

Portal Pro
January 10, 2005
hi,

i want to record some shows weekly. the setting in EPG is "weekly at the same time" but sometimes the show-times change (one hour later) and MP does not recognize this. would it be possible to make MP check for the show-name and show me if the show-time has changed.

the same thing happens if the whole show ends (last episode of a series) but the timer does not recognize the changed name (the new show at the same time) and continues the recordings next weeks

i hope you understand my problem

thank you for your helm

wunschkind

Waltz

Portal Pro
December 14, 2004
Kiel, Germany
That would be great. It wouldn't only be useful for weekly recordings but for single ones also. Sometimes the show time changes and MP should "know" this since the change is present in new EPG data, so MP should change the recording time as well.

Basically, all MP would have to do is to compare scheduled recording times (and program names) to the program guide whenever new EPG data has been imported. If there is a change, it should adjust the scheduling accordingly.

- Waltz

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    What if you try Option 2 - "Everytime on this channel" - that should accomodate program time changes and programs that have finished?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Weekly recording is the same as saying every week at this time.
    This is regardless of what is scheduled.

this has been explained a lot of times before.
    Basically what you are looking for is a "Every week if on" sort of option. Most agree that this would be a good idea, it's just finding someone with the time to progrm it in.

wunschkind

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2005
    yes it would be great if someone could code this feature.

Taipan would "everytime on this channel" not record all of the episodes (also the piisodes of series which are repeated in the night?).

thank you very much

wunschkind

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    would "everytime on this channel" not record all of the episodes (also the piisodes of series which are repeated in the night?).

Yes, it does record ALL occurrences of the program ... fortunately for me, the programs I record are not repeated on the same channel ... :)

Waltz

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2004
    Kiel, Germany
    @wunschkind/Taipan: An option like "everytime on this channel, but only once a day" would solve this problem, wouldn't it?

Shouldn't this be moved into the "feature request" section? I don't know if we will grab any developer's attention here :) I think that at least this "re-checking new EPG data for time changes of scheduled programs" thing is quite important for a digital videorecorder.

- Waltz

bigj

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2005
    Weekly recording is the same as saying every week at this time.
    This is regardless of what is scheduled.

this has been explained a lot of times before.
    Basically what you are looking for is a "Every week if on" sort of option. Most agree that this would be a good idea, it's just finding someone with the time to progrm it in.

You might be right that this is what's been said - I don't know. But I disagree that it makes sense. If I click a program in the EPG and say record this every week then why on earth would I want that to record some other random program? I can't think of any common usage case where that would be the required behaviour.
    I imagine right now that very few people actually use the 'record weekly' option because of this.

I can understand that the current implementation might happen to just set up a recording entry to record weekly at that exact time. But I think this implementation is wrong. It should be implemented as "record this program weekly on this day on this channel whatever time it ends up being shown" - i.e. like the "record everytime on this channel" but limited to that day each week.

The problem with choosing the existing alternative policy of 'record everytime on this channel' is that many broadcasters repeat the same show several times through a week.
    But right now the "record everytime on this channel" is the only viable option. I'm constantly deleteing the numerous redundant episodes of Torchwood...

BigJ.

ARH

Portal Member
    October 27, 2006
    I have to agree, this is my first post :)

I have tried all the available PVR software and MP is by far the best. But it does lack just one thing that winmce gets right, series recording. MCE does it nicely as does GBPVR. It's the one thing it needs.

Keep up the good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom