Weird issue with x264 (720p+) and all media players but VLC (1 Viewer)

malagem

Portal Member
September 26, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi folks,

What I'm posting here is *not*, strictly speaking, a specific MP-related issue - I don't think it is, since it happens also outside of MP. Since it's quite subtle in the facts but extremely annoying, I'm going to do my best to describe it as accurately as possible.

First, the crime scene:

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.3.0
MediaPortal Skin: Maya
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
CPU Type: Intel i5-660 @ 3.3Ghz
HDD: Corsair Performance SSD 128GB
Memory: 8GB DDR3-10800
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55-UD2H
Video Card: Core I5 Intel HD
Video Card Driver: 15.22.1.64.2361
Sound Card: Onboard
Sound Card AC3: Optical out to Sony STR-DE545 A/V Receiver
Sound Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC
h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC 2.55
Satelite/CableTV Provider: none
HTPC Case: Antec fusion remote
Cooling: Scythe shuriken Rev B
Power Supply: Zalman ultrasilent 500W
Remote: Antec bundled iMON
TV: Panasonic TH-58PZ850U
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI
Data source: Synology DS-508 NAS w/ 5x2TB WD HDD through gigabit LAN network.

Then, the facts:

1) The issue only happens when playing back x264 or h.264 movies (.avi or .mkv doesn't matter)
2) The issue happens in mediaportal as well as in every player I've tried (WMP, MPC, GOM Player, KM player, ...)
3) The issue never happens in VLC
4) The issue happens regardless of the player using embedded codecs (eg. MPC, KMP) or not (eg. CoreAVC, FFDShow DXVA, ...)
5) The issue happens regardless of the kind of audio stream embedded in the container (MP3, AC3, DTS, ...)
6) Even when playing heavy 1080p/DTS files, CPU usage never rises above 35%
7) RAM is fine and was thoroughly tested with memtest86, SSD is fine and perfectly healty

And, most important, the issue itself:

When I play one of the above mentionned files (x264/h.264 .avi or .mkv), I get what I may call "micro-accelerations". The video plays correctly at the good frame rate for about 10-15 seconds, then during one second it speeds up at about 1.2, 1.3x its normal speed.

Then the cycle goes again: normal rate for 10-15 sec, then speedup for one second. And again. And again, until the file ends.

At the time the video micro-acceleration occurs, there is no change, in pitch or in speed, with the audio playback.

It looks like the playback engine has issues keeping the video synch'd with the audio, and then has to increase temporarely the video stream playback frame rate in order to catch up with the audio.

But... it does not happen with VLC. With this specific player, the playback is smooth and no issue ever happens.

So...

I'm getting kind of desperate with this issue. I'm seriously considering reinstalling the whole PC, which should not be a major hassle thanks to a ghost image, but it pisses me off to do so without understanding the root cause of the problem. SO I turn out to you wise experts in the hope that this might light some ideas in your brains, since mine doesn't even know where to search anymore...

:D

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It sounds similar to the problem 'Andrew H' was having here - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-2-0-beta-540/mkv-stuttering-dual-monitor-windows-7-aero-theme-enabled-96628/index3.html#post751307 - which was fixed by uninstalling the DivX-Pro codec.

I think VLC can only use it's own internal decoders, but all the other players can use other decoders in the system if their internal ones can't handle the stream.

I'd do some investigation with GraphStudio to see which decoders are actually being used to play the files e.g. do a 'connect to remote graph' from GraphStudio with MP playing in windowed mode.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom