what a blooming hassle (1 Viewer)

adeybob

May 14, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi...I'm a new 'user' of MP2.
I say 'user' but I actually seem to be not using MP2 much...most of the LAST 3 DAYS has been dedicated to learning how to install it...at all.
I look for info online...some advice, maybe. I find multiple references to older MP AND MP2 - all mixed together...and no matter how hard I've looked, I found little real advice that would be understood by anyone but database managers and coders.
Anyway...here we go...I'll tell you all about my adventures in time-wasting...
So, I downloaded a copy of MP 1.11 'final' for my win8 lappie. After numerous failed install attempts, I realised I'd have to learn how to install and use MySQL. Great. So I did...and a day later, had a copy of 5.6 up and running.
Nice. A complete waste of life, but nice.
After an immense amount of time reinstalling, uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling server settings, I got it all to work with MP.
Cool.
Then MP started randomly hanging or refusing to even start.
Great.
So I got a copy of MP3, and spent 10 seconds installing it, then an hour realising that I can't even use it to watch tv without taking more of my life away by the hour by learning how to 'fix' it...then spending more long hours getting and installing the SlimTV-NativeTV-10th_AE_Update1_refresh update...THEN the SlimTV-MPExtended-10th_AE_Update1..said installations taking hours to install 'properly' by following the really patchy instructions I found online.
Lovely.
So, here I am...I have tried my very best to get ANY MP program up and running...and after something like 3 days of trying, I am about to give up, before I fling my laptop across the room.
I will post a question elsewhere on this forum, but I wanted to just say how disappointed I am in the support offered for mp/mp2,etc. I realise it's open-source, but the support for it is confusing and patchy...with EVERY option I explored online either misleading my efforts, or being incomplete in its information. In short, it seems like little more than a toy for programmers.
Me coming here and asking stupid questions via a painfully-limited forum search engine is my very last resort.
I would leave what I know to be an appropriate log-file, but I neglected to find out how to do it, stupidly...here's an indication of what I did to try and find out how to actually do something as stupidly easy as finding an appropriate logfile from MP2:
Open browser.
type in "mp2" open log file
result: https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q="mp2"+open+log+file AKA, meaningless returns.
So I try again...this time typing "mediaportal2" find log files...with yet more babble in the returns...with the shining example of: http://src-doc.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal_2/de/dae/interface_http_server_1_1_i_log_writer.html
at the very top...telling me unreferenced information that is important to opening logs in MP3, but which isn't comprehensible as instructions to me.
So again, I go into my browser and try again, typing '"mediaportal 2" find log files', which led me to http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/Troubleshooting/TV/Log_Files.
Am I putting the right log file on here? I have no idea.
You tell me.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Hello,
    it's not very clear what version you've tried to install.
    MP1 (1.11.0) is considered stable, MP2 is alpha software which is on early stages of development.
    I don't recommend to start from MP2.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

I do sympathise.
    There are some things you could have done to help yourself.

most of the LAST 3 DAYS...
    Don't spend more than an hour stuck before asking for help. You will end up wasting your precious time if you insist on trying to solve problems by yourself.

In short, it seems like little more than a toy for programmers.
    As I said in your other thread: MP2 is mostly a toy for programmers right now. No surprises there. Alpha (standard descriptor for a software release that is not suitable for general use) really does mean alpha.

So, I downloaded a copy of MP 1.11 'final' for my win8 lappie. After numerous failed install attempts, I realised I'd have to learn how to install and use MySQL.
    As I said in your other thread: you shouldn't have to install MySQL separately... and it sounds like you weren't running the installer with admin privileges. Again and for goodness sake: ask for help when having problems! MP is open source software... but that doesn't mean you should expect such a terrible install experience... and if you do encounter such an experience, it's an indication that something is going seriously wrong.

In short, if you want to continue with MediaPortal (I wouldn't blame you if you don't), my advice is to uninstall MP2 and try MP1.11 again. If you have problems, post log files. If you don't know how to do something (like post log files), take a look in the wiki:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

Most things for MP1 - including install and quick setup guides - should be covered in there.
    If you choose to continue with MP2 that's also fine... but you should be aware what you're getting yourself in for. The documentation is sparse; there aren't as many plugin or skin choices etc. etc. etc.

Regards,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom