[solved] What a mess ... for no TV (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    A stern lecture, indeed.
    On the contrary: an expression of sheer frustration.

For the record, I moved some of the channels in the spirit of "I wonder what this knob does". Undoubtedly, you know the meaning of "Available channels" versus "Channels mapped to card". I don't ... and Available channels sounded promising. But neither works ... so now I know that knob doesn't help me.
    For what it's worth, my advice to you when it comes to MediaPortal and computers in general is: don't fiddle with stuff if you don't know what it does.

I performed another delete/scan sequence and fresh logs are attached.
    Thank you. (y)

I have seen your latest post, but based on the log files you provided I suspect your success may be short-lived.

The TsWriter log file is full of continuity errors.

Before you say I'm using jargon...
    TsWriter = the [critical] MediaPortal component responsible for receiving the stream from your tuner
    stream = output; video, audio, other technical data etc.
    continuity errors = errors that indicate part of the stream is missing - a bad thing

Continuity errors are often caused by:
    1. Inadequate signal strength or quality [from your aerial].
    2. Overloaded hard disk drive.
    I'm not able to explain the meaning of the first cause in further detail. If you don't understand, please search the internet for "signal strength" or "signal quality".

The second cause...
    A hard disk drive is the component in your computer that stores all your stuff (documents, music, photos, video, programs etc.). When you're watching live TV, in the background what is happening is: TsWriter (explained above) filters/copies the stream (explained above) that is received from your tuner into a file on your hard drive, and MediaPortal opens and plays that file. People often have security software (anti-virus, anti-spyware etc. eg. "Norton", "AVG", "Kaspersky", "McAfee") installed on their computers. That security software may attempt to scan the file that TsWriter and MediaPortal are using. That scanning can overload an HDD, thereby causing live TV to not work properly.

If you have any security software installed, please ensure that you configure it to trust MediaPortal and MediaPortal's TV Server (TvService.exe). If you don't do this, you can expect problems to return regardless of how many times you reinstall.

Seems like others are seeing this kind of 'no TV' problem. For example, here's a post on the main forum:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/t...em-to-work-in-tv-server-configuration.131594/
    That's a completely different problem, not comparable to your situation.

He concludes:
    "My only other thought was, uninstall the whole package, and start over from scratch. Willing to do, but not knowing what I did wrong, not sure that will help. What do you think?"

Well, he did. And it worked.
    As above, I don't like to be a wet blanket but I expect this will be short-lived success. Like I said earlier:
    As I say to anybody who will listen: uninstalling/reinstalling almost never helps, and often makes problems worse. If you want help to get MediaPortal working, please don't reinstall. Ask for help and wait for a response.

But, really, that's not good news for anyone. There's a problem lurking ... and now no one knows what it is.
    There's no need to assume the worst.

In this post I have given you some possible explanations for what you are/were experiencing based on the "hard evidence" in your log files. Neither of those explanations give me cause to suspect the existence of a "lurking" problem that would affect anybody other than you.

Nonetheless, in another day or two, I'll try a full and complete reinstall ... which was my inclination, as well.
    For what reason would you do a complete reinstall when something is working? ...especially when that is in direct contradiction to the advice you've been offered by somebody who is trying to help you?

Contours

Portal Member
    August 13, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Finally ... after reinstalling six more times (just kidding!), I went to Windows Defender and disabled real-time protection. (Is this documented somewhere?)

The channels all started working.

For all visitors who are curious, here's what live TV looks like in MePo (see ... I'm learning the lingo! ... but where is that hard drive thing you mentioned (just kidding, again!)).

Believe it or not, I do appreciate you sticking with this. Thank you. We've learned a lot.

Finally TV.png

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    there is a section in the wiki on the Virus Scan topic

MediaPortal Wiki > MediaPortal 1 > Getting Started > Preparing Your System > Anti-Virus Settings
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_.../11_Preparing_Your_System/Anti-Virus_Settings

But I can see how a new user might not notice this or appreciate the importance. I do not remember a case where virus scan caused TV = Not Work before this.

In the past I had a MP1 system that went from working fine to lots of video stuttering/breakup after a windows/msft monthly update. Somehow msft defender started causing problems after the update and I had to exclude the recording/timeshift and other MP1 folders.

Contours

Portal Member
    August 13, 2015
    Home Country
    Only about 2000 times all around the forum.

Not good enough, guys. This kind of critical setting has to be up in lights in the wiki/documentation ... just like the commonplace recommendation when installing software: "close other programs, first."

I'll say it again, if MediaPortal is ever going to be a mainstream solution, it's got to have a concise startup guide ... with clear confirmations that the basic pieces are present and working ... and with screenshots of the major components to show "this is what a working installation looks like".

Right now, MediaPortal is software for AV enthusiasts ... who are willing to follow 12-step wiki instructions ... and search forums to get things to work. That's only a fraction of a percent of the population.

I'd suggest a moratorium on cool new skins and graphics ... and a concerted effort on a Quick Start Guide for the masses.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    Not good enough, guys. This kind of critical setting has to be up in lights in the wiki/documentation ...
    Well, the Wiki is open to be amended. What is holding you back?

That's only a fraction of a percent of the population.
    This program was originally written for " only a fraction of a percent of the population " who was fed up with the MS crap.

And since I'm slowly reaching the point where I become less polite, I'm out'a here.

Last edited:

Contours

Portal Member
    August 13, 2015
    Home Country
    Me, too. That's quite enough initiation for a newcomer (i.e., me). Now that I have the lay of the land, any other posts I might make will be over on the heavy duty side, for sure.

Thanks for everyone's patience and support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom