[Remote] What about creating a standard for all shortcuts with other mediacenter developers? (1 Viewer)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I'm guessing there are alot of similarities between your keymaps already, but wouldn't it be alot easier for end-users if you created some sort of standard keymap for mediacenter software? I'm thinking about stuff like shortcuts for TV, movies etc, and play, pause, record and so on.

This probably isn't an issue for people who are using non-customizable remotes like the MCE one, but for people who can program their remotes I'd think this would help them alot.

I'm thinking about developers like the people over at Meedios and XBMC, and perhaps Microsoft. This is probably a lot of work for a small thing, but I think that this is one of the things that can bring HTPCs one step further in usability.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This probably isn't an issue for people who are using non-customizable remotes like the MCE one, but for people who can program their remotes I'd think this would help them alot.

I'm thinking about developers like the people over at Meedios and XBMC, and perhaps Microsoft. This is probably a lot of work for a small thing, but I think that this is one of the things that can bring HTPCs one step further in usability.

The MCE remote IS customisable.

Your wish sounds like idealism - but in the ideal world people wouldn't have to configure their remotes at all (And this is what MP tries to aim at).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Something that is surely not going to happen. Not in a nice daydream we could agree on the "default" features that HTPC application has (that is what defines what kind of buttons we need to have).

Also it's one time only operation to set up the remote (after all you shouldn't be changing the HTPC application once a month like geeks do with their underwear).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom