What do I need to support a 3D TV? (1 Viewer)

BKCH

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering if someone could help me pull together the requirements for MP to support playback on my Samsung 3D TV?? Do I need a specific video card? (Nvidia's site kinda suggests that but is a little vague). Do I need specific codecs? Am I missing anything else?

Thanks heaps :)

Kaoh

Portal Pro
    September 11, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering if someone could help me pull together the requirements for MP to support playback on my Samsung 3D TV?? Do I need a specific video card? (Nvidia's site kinda suggests that but is a little vague). Do I need specific codecs? Am I missing anything else?

Thanks heaps :)

I believe you need a Nvidia video card that supports its vision technology. But most nvidia cards do I believe (well the better ones). Next you need a screen that support 3d, for monitors that requiers a screen that does 120hz refresh rates or a tv that does that for your hdmi or vga (and I assume here that 3d tv's do). And finally you need the nvidia vison glasses to look at the screen for your 3d environment.
    So a 3d tv does not mean it will work with your htpc, only if it will support the system nvidia uses. But I believe that only requires a screen that does 120hz, but even if a tv does way higher refreshes for the tv, it needs to do that also for the hdmi or dvi input you plan to use, that may not be the case for all input types.

Maybe if the 3d tv supports a pc as 3d input source (not sure) then you maybe done without special nvidia hardware, but I can not find any info if that is possible.

Then you can play any game or other 3d rendering software to view it in real 3d, but the effect is very unreliable if the application/game did not take it in account.
    Now for playing 3d movies you will need a codec that supports it in mediaplayer, then maybe MP will support it also :D

There is a powerdvd version that support 3d movies, so installing that will allow MP to use its codecs so that may work for you.

CyberLink - 3D Video and Blu-ray 3D on PCs

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    There is a powerdvd version that support 3d movies, so installing that will allow MP to use its codecs so that may work for you.

CyberLink - 3D Video and Blu-ray 3D on PCs

Sadly, from my limited understanding, when using the Cyberlink Codecs that support DXVA and 3Di outside of the Cyberlink player itself, those functions (DXVA & 3Di) are turned off =(

But, the good news is that yes, MP will display 3D movies. Just set up MP to use the Cyberlink player as an external play for all BR content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom