what do the new user categories mean? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portal Member
December 20, 2005
Austria
I guess that I may be being overly sensitive. :(
However if anybody had been through what I have been through what I have been through in the last year with their kids & wife, they would be sensitive too (but more likely dead through suicide).
Yes, I know, "get out the violins" for my sob story... Sorry.

Anyway it appears that 'googling' to find the meaning of one's 'label' makes something less of an insult. That is true to a degree. Type in "What is a numpty" in google and the first response is "Stupid person". (I admit that is an "anglefire" site and not a published and not a respected dictionary)

However if an insult had been in say, German, would it be be any less of an insult to an English speaker? Yes, at least until the English speaker found out the meaning of what was said/written to them. Would having to google for the meaning of a German insult make it less of an insult?

Anybody with any exposure to the Internet would appreciate that something can be taken the wrong way, as the written word is quite different to a "face to face" conversation. Hence all the little smiley faces (emoticons) we all commonly use now.

I believe I may created a bit of problem now though. As people (newbies)read these posts and see that it is a mild insult (thanks for the info Poppy10) they may think that the Mediaportal scene is elitist, which I don't think it is BTW.

However it may have the adverse affect of either:
a) driving (talented) people away or
b) force people to create lots of useless posts to make their 'label' change (As I was tempted to do but won't).

Personally, I'd like to see a change to "Mediaportal Newbie" as this is more widely accepted and less insulting to your average PC user.

I have no interest in upsetting anybody and I will avoid 'flame wars' as real life has enough hardships without having "virtual fights" with unknown people. After all, in 100 years will any of this matter? Will our children or their children care what we type now?

That's my 2 cents worth. Thank you to Marcusb and Poppy10 for responding with intellligence and not flaming.

I still am wondering though, how many posts until I become a "virgin"? It's been a longtime since I was called that and it's far more fun then being a "numpty".

Have a great life :D

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    All I Know is that it took me 50 posts to move into the "Dark Side".
    So all Numpties and Virgins, keep on posting (usefull posts please).

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Rebel without a clause,

Get over yourself dude it's only a bit of fun.
    Since you have been in the IT business for 10 years then you'd also know that the terms 'Newbie' & 'User' aren't exactly terms of endearment either.

As pointed out earlier by chili & poppy10 it's not a harsh or too insulting a word.
    With the amount of energy used in your last post you could have posted on numerous decent threads with decent comments and reached that 'virgin' status you so eagerly wish to achieve.

Thread closed on the matter.

DMAN

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom