What is teletext?? (1 Viewer)

Shurik

Portal Pro
December 13, 2006
Alberta
Home Country
Canada Canada
Sorry for dumb question, but what is teletext? All I get when I select it is a big ugly blue screen with ASCII graphics.. Is it something european TV based?

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
November 14, 2005
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi shurik, i recommend wikipedia. Its amazing what's out there on the internet. And hardly a "Tip or Trick" is it?

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Teletext can be seen as, as good as, non interactual internet from the early eighties. It can contain subtitles, but is mainly used for dispalying information like news, sport results, stock info and a TVguide for every individual channel. Personaly I used to use it mainly for the TVguide. Now I mostly use it for subtitles because my girlfriend is hearingimpared. Too bad MP doesn't yet support the subtitles.

it's a really strange realisation that there are people that don't know what Teletext is :D

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    telesoft.gif

That is what is looks like. It is very simple, but in Germany every tv station has its own teletext service and it is still very popular.

This link states, that there never was something interesting in canada concerning teletext -> http://teletext.mb21.co.uk/gallery/world/canada/index.shtml

tomtom

Shurik

Portal Pro
    December 13, 2006
    Alberta
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    mdsfyer, thanks for your smart a** comments :) appreciate the sarcasm.. :)

and the rest of you guys - thanks.. I don't think there is anything like that in the North America.. And I haven't lived in Western Europe, unfortunately, so I don't know what teletext would be used for..

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Strange ...
    Strange ...
    Updated MP client from 1.29 to 1.32. Kept Titan skin same as previously; very standard no Extended etc (afaik). The TV menu item...
    Replies
    Views
    Thanks CyberSimian, that's fixed it (y) and also thanks to AJS for including the change in the next release.
    Thanks CyberSimian, that's fixed it (y) and also thanks to AJS for including the change in the next release.
    When using the List Layout for Argus TV Recorded TV the page count is above the bottom information bar, refer to attached...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi, First off: there are some issues with the latest Mediaportal (32bits vs 64bits), so that is one of the issues you're stumbling with. If you take the previous version (1.31) it should work as expected. For IPTV there is also a different option (with different pros and cons): Onlinevideos. I'm using that sometimes for my IPTV as...
    Hi, First off: there are some issues with the latest Mediaportal (32bits vs 64bits), so that is one of the issues you're stumbling...
    Hi I am trying to play a m3u file from my IPTV provider, but when I try to install the TV part of Media Portal v1.3.2 I get an...
    Replies
    Views
    Thanks for your reply. In my configuration this setting is set to "no". To avoid misunderstandings, the MP window size changes on screen resolution changes, MP always fulfills the whole screen. Also, the home screen buttons size is adjusted. Only the font size is not adjusted to the new screen resolution.
    Thanks for your reply. In my configuration this setting is set to "no". To avoid misunderstandings, the MP window size changes on...
    I use two monitors - a large display for TV and video watching and a small display for music playback, to get the current track...
    Replies
    Views
    Thank you! I guess I was overthinking it.
    Thank you! I guess I was overthinking it.
    This is apparently such a low level question that it's not even documented that I can find - I apologize in advance for this: I...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom