What is The best way to show special info about a movie?

Discussion in 'Moving Pictures' started by raffe, October 29, 2010.

1. raffe

raffe Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +44 / 0
    Show System Specs
    Hi!

=== Background ===
    This is mostly a problem with my kids movies. Some of the movies I have as two different files, one in English (which my children do not understand) and one dubbed in Swedish.

In Moving Pictures I cant tell them apart, it just looks like I have two movies that are exacly the same.

First I tried with just writing extra info in in the title in Moving Picture configuration, e.g. added the word SWEDISH at the end of the title, and also in Genre. And I was happy, when I saw both films in the list, I immediately saw which was Swedish (as I could read it in the title)...
    :)

Then I discovered that many of my movies got Swedish titles from IMDB, so I wanted to update them with akas.imdb.com. As I have a lot of movies I happened to accidentally mark a lot of swedish dubbed films for children at this update.
    :(

It felt a little awkward to once again go through 1,000 films and enter "SWEDISH" in the title (and genre) of the about fifty kids movies, so I tried something new. All children's films that are in Swedish, has the word SWESUB or SWEDUB in the filename. So in C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\skin\Blue3wide\movingpictures.listview.xml I added:
    Code (Text):
    1.         <control>
    2.           <description>File info</description>
    3.           <type>label</type>
    4.           <label>#MovingPictures.LocalMedia.fullpath</label>
    5.           <posX>10</posX>
    6.           <posY>215</posY>
    7.           <width>1200</width>
    8.           <font>font10</font>
    9.           <textcolor>ffa9d0f7</textcolor>
    10.           <visible>facadeview.list+control.isvisible(50)</visible>
    11.         </control>
    Now I CAN see which is Swedish, but Im not sure if I am happy with the result (it does not look so good with a very long file path). It was better before, so to the question...

=== Question ===
    How would you show that some of the movie are in Swedish?
    - Write in title?
    - Show file info?
    - Add Swedish to genre?
    - Can I get the text automatically to the title/genre with som script that search for Swedish/Swesub in the filename?
    - Something else?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. protonenpumpe
    • Premium Supporter

protonenpumpe MP Donator

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    AW: What is The best way to show special info about a movie?

Hi.

Why don't you just mux these films with both audio streams ie. in an mkv-Container. You can switch through the languages within the context-menu while the movie plays.
    Another advantage would be to just have one file per film and therefore you wouldn't waste your hdd-capacity with redundant video-streams.

Greetings

pp

• Like Like x 1
  4. Holzi
    • Team MediaPortal

Holzi Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,228 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    You can also do it with the string #MovingPictures.SelectedMovie.language and set the language for the films in the Moving Pictures Configuration. Then you can even set Categories for the different languages I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  5. raffe

raffe Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +44 / 0
    Show System Specs
    protonenpumpe: Sounds cool, but sounds difficult (have not even found out how to change audio track yet ;) ). Will google some :p
    Holzi: Good idea, if I go this road (now I have all IMDB info right, so I will not need to update all again), maybe I should put in the language there also. Will check if I find some scipt I can use (otherwise its only 50 movies, don't take THAT much time)...

Maybe I can put the files in different folders and use that somehow :)

6. Holzi
    • Team MediaPortal

Holzi Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,228 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Muxing the film is not that hard. Just download the programm mkvmerge (it is included in the package mkvtoolnix I think). The two movies u wanna mux should only have the same framerate e.g. 25 then there is no problem with the sound.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!