What new feature do you want most? (1 Viewer)

What new feature do you want most?

• Filtering on the GUI (by genre, year, watched flag, etc.)

Votes: 70 40.0%
  • Localization (i.e. multilingual support)

Votes: 36 20.6%
  • Additional data providers (IMDB, impawards.com, scriptable)

Votes: 66 37.7%
  • Logo support ala TV-Series (mediainfo.dll integration)

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Better movie backdrop (fanart) support (in GUI, menu to select and download ala TV-Series)

Votes: 63 36.0%
  • Something else (post details below)

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
There are a lot of features upcoming for Moving Pictures, so I wanted to get a feel for what the community is most interested in seeing. Please note that we will of course get to everything sooner or later, I am just trying to get a feel for the sequence of things. Also note, that just because something wins in this poll does not necessarily mean it will get done first. There are always other factors involved.

That being said, thanks for voting!

hermy65

Portal Pro
January 11, 2007
I would like to see some high quality backdrops and movie covers. I run MP on a 42" 1080P plasma so the backdrops and everything else do not look so good.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hrmm... well the plug-in currently retrieves backdrops from two sites, moviebackdrops.com and posters.consumeroo.com. The first is given priority, so if a backdrop is found there, posters.consumeroo.com is not checked. The thing is though, the first is limited to 720p resolution artwork only. So there may be some 1080p artwork from posters.consumeroo.com you are not getting. In future versions of the plug-in I will be significantly revamping the data provider system, so this will work a lot better later on. But here is a way to get more 1080p artwork now. Sorry though, this is a little drawn out and you will unfortunately have to rescan all your movies. Like I said though, this will all be automated in the future so you don't have to do anything, maybe click a check box that says prefer 1080p backdrops. Anyway...

1. Delete your existing database file. Sorry I know this is drastic, but once you have a backdrop downloaded new backdrops wont be added. Sorry backdrop support is so limited right now.
  2. Open the Media Portal configuration screen.
  3. Open the Moving Pictures configuration window. But do not add an import path yet.
  4. Click the "Additional Settings" tab.
  5. Under "Advanced Settings", look for the setting labeled "Minimum Backdrop Height". It's close to the bottom under "Movie Importer/Backdrops (Fan Art)".
  6. Double click the setting and change it to 1080.
  7. Go back to the Movie Importer tab and add your movie folder(s) to the Import Path list.
  8. All your movies should now be scanned and only 1080p backdrops will be downloaded.
  9. Now if you want everything else populated with 720p artwork, go back to the advanced setting and change the "Minimum Backdrop Height" back to 720.
  10. Goto the "Movie Importer" tab and click "Settings" on the Movie Importer. Click the "Force Rescan" button. Now it will go through all your movies without backdrops and download all the available 720p artwork.

Phew... ok sorry that is so drawn out, that is a pretty huge work around. Please understand one of the primary goals of this plug-in is ease of use so I realize this is a major usability issue. It will get fixed, probably sooner rather than later.

I have added an issue to the tracker for this.

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
May 28, 2006
Den Bosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Logo's and fanart support will make this plugin perfect!
I already love it and think the scanning is simply amazing, thanks alot for all thehard work!

carmenm

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
Home Country
France France
I will use this thread to express my few features request and my suggestions :

- The importer: What thing really bugging me in the importer is when there is no perfect match found(blue icon). Currently it seems that it takes the first one in the list and uses this. What i think should happen in that case is that when no perfect match is found, Moving Pictures uses the share view style. The movie is shown as a directory exactly as it is on the hard drive. Each time a new scan is done this movie is checked again, if found goes green else stays blue. YOu could also manually set it to green. What do you think? Is it doable? it would be so useful as Movie-xml does not have enough movies yet.
By the way i have a question about the importer. Is a scan done periodically like it is done in MP-TV series?

-About the GUI: I like the new context menu but i think you should keep it the same it is in others plugins. Go left to change view. The context menu brings other options like detail view, refresh, .... That way it wont disturb users.
To be truly usable right now in my opinion, we need a resume feature, disc selection, and a watched flag. So i think in a way those features are the ones i want most.

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
errr.. you know theres a "drop-down" menu too choose from the list of matches it finds? Just click the movie name on the right. Also if you click the movie and press the green button you make it green. You can also do a manual search for each movie if the filename doesnt give any matches.

The search is for now not automated afaik, but when it comes into beta it probably will update in "real time". This is just a alpha release, but its working great for me :)

carmenm

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
Home Country
France France
Yeah i know about the menu, but a lot of movies are not yet on movie-xml so even with a manual search you dont find your movie that why i would like the blue state to mean "like share view"

Nice to know about the automated scan feature. I agree with you about the alpha state, but for me it is not yet usable daily.

the_ult

Portal Pro
June 30, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Take a guess fforde (mediainfo.dll perhaps :D)

+5 :)

I have downloaded a lot of backdrops from different torrents and sites.
I'm already using these backdrops for the Aeon Wide Skin. Most files are named: tt[imdbID].jpg or png.

It would be nice if you could set the backdrop download priority.
like:
1) scan harddrive folder
2) moviebackdrops.com
3) posters.consumeroo.com

I will use this thread to express my few features request and my suggestions :

- The importer: What thing really bugging me in the importer is when there is no perfect match found(blue icon). Currently it seems that it takes the first one in the list and uses this. What i think should happen in that case is that when no perfect match is found, Moving Pictures uses the share view style. The movie is shown as a directory exactly as it is on the hard drive. Each time a new scan is done this movie is checked again, if found goes green else stays blue. YOu could also manually set it to green. What do you think? Is it doable? it would be so useful as Movie-xml does not have enough movies yet.
By the way i have a question about the importer. Is a scan done periodically like it is done in MP-TV series?

+5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom