What OS you recommend for current/coming MediaPortal? (1 Viewer)

stounedi

Portal Pro
December 9, 2008
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.2.0
MediaPortal Skin: Default
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP3
CPU Type: Intel E7300
HDD: Samsung 750GB
Memory: 4GB DDR800
Motherboard: Asus P5Q
Video Card: ATI HD2600 Pro
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: Integrated
Sound Card AC3: Integrated
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: AnySee E30
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver: Latest from anysee.fi
2. TV Card: AnySee E30 Plus
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver: Latest from anysee.fi
3. TV Card: TechnoTrend T-1500 + CI
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver: Latest from TechnoTrend web-site
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Zalman HD160
Cooling: Case: 2x80mm, CPU: Noctua NH-92
Power Supply: 350W Nexus
Remote: Logitech Harmony 525
TV: Samsung
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

-----------------------------------------------------

Which operating system do you recommend for MediaPortal 1.0.2.0 and 1.1.0 (when it's released)?

I am currently running on Windows XP Pro SP3, and I am having HUGE problems with the TVServer side. I have one "extra" Windows 7 license, which I could downgrade to Vista if needed.

So, simply, which Windows OS do you recommend and think would work best for MediaPortal?

I have read that people with TechnoTrend & Vista have no problems, but personally I have huge issues (cannot start graph, unknown error, etc) with Windows XP SP3.

Thanks in advance.

PierreLo

Portal Pro
September 7, 2004
France
Hi,

For what it's worth, I am using Windows 7 with a Digital Everywhere FloppyDTV cable card, and MediaPortal works great.
This is the most stable setup I have had in years.

Cheers

PierreLo:cool:

Nagarjuna

Portal Pro
July 27, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
+1 for Windows 7

Also, Mediaportal 2 might be Windows 7 only. So to be on the safe side I'd use it instead of XP or Vista.

stounedi

Portal Pro
December 9, 2008
Thanks for the comments guys.

For now it seems I managed to (finally) solve my TV/MP problems.

I'll stick with XP until MP2 and I'll see then if I need to upgrade to Win7.

riksmith

Portal Pro
April 18, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
If using Win7, you might as well use Media Center (MC). MC is more refined and a better experience IMO.

That depends on what features of MP you are using, the TV part of MP for instance is much more advanced then MC.

cryoplasm

Portal Member
December 30, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
It may well be, but for basic TV viewing, which I would say counts to 95% of watching TV, MC is more enjoyable.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Regardless of how interesting a MCE vs MP discussion is, please stay on topic.

You are of course allowed to have an opinion on the matter - and even create a thread to discuss it in (instead of repeating it in lots of posts), but this is not what the purpose of this thread is.

:D for understanding :)

Liquidtouch

Portal Pro
    February 25, 2007
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Currently I am using Windows 7 and think its great with one exception, and possibly the reason for me to downgrade back to XP:

With VISTA and 7 Microsoft disabled the ability to output multiple audio streams at the same time. I have my digital audio output connected to my HTPC Reciever for watching TV, Movies etc and I also have my Analog output connected to an amplifier to power my multi-room audio with speakers in other rooms in the house and outside on my patio for use with music.

With XP I was able to get audio to go to both at the same time. With 7 and Vista I need to manually configure which is my default output and I only get audio on what I choose.

I have found a work around and currently testing it out for stability and quality. I am using "Virtual Audio Cable (VAC)" to get both outputs working and I am using "Firedaemon" to launch VAC as a system service. This is working but not as elegant as XP. If its unstable I will migrate back to XP.

SO if you have any need for multiple audio out from the HTPC its one reason you may want to stick with XP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom