What remote are you using? (1 Viewer)

Rybber

Portal Pro
October 26, 2004
Denmark
In my opinion, the remote is one of the most important aspects of the HTPC - the one thing you use to interact with your media center.

So I though it could be interesting to see what people use as remotes?

Personally, I just got a Logitech Harmony 525 remote. I use it for my 32" Samsung LCD and the HTPC.

It's a good looking remote, and I like it, but the speed and build quality could be better. Maybe it needs further tweaking to work as the Hauppauge remote.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
- Hauppauge 45 (cause it comes with the cards anyway)
- MCE 2005 EU (cause it's surprisingly handy)

As the support in MP is the same now, I cannot decide which of both to take. I use both... :mrgreen:

Did I mention that those remotes have the best support in MP atm? :lol:

Funky

Portal Pro
March 8, 2005
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
-Harmony 688 with a MCE remote reciever. The best thing I ever laid my hands on. Controls TV, Amplifier, HTPC & STB.

In the Logitech configuration program I set the HTPC up as an WIN MCE Computer and everything worked right away with Mediaportal.

Not sure about Hauppauge but it wouldn't surprise me if it's already implemented.

trosty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 6, 2004
    Zurich/Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Logitech Harmoy 885 - a really great remote.

Unfortunatly I cannot get it working with MP as the SerialUIR Plugin does not learn any commands (but WinLIRC for example does) :( . I am trying to find out what is wrong - maybe anyone has a clue.

sylvain_swe

Portal Member
    April 18, 2006
    MCE remote looks good but...

Media Portal has a good potential despite I haven't managed to make it roll 100% at all and my MCE remote (came with the Happauge HVR-1300MCE) doesn't work except surprisingly the green "MCE" button (changes display mode !) on the RC3 that I installed yesterday :shock: .
    Couldn't figure out HIP either yet (keys inactive each time I re-start the PC), not mentionning the damn LCD smarties plugins :x => some headaches during Easter's WE...
    Today a RC4 after the week-old RC3 !?!?! Maybe an automatic update option would be useful !! :?

In resume, beautiful work guys but slightly disapointed so far, sorry...
    Hope I can find all the tricks I need (feels like Indiana Jones quest on the forum: try "MCE remote" on the search ?!? :cry: )

WebKnight

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2006
    Akershus
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    sylvain_swe said:
    MCE remote looks good but...

Media Portal has a good potential despite I haven't managed to make it roll 100% at all and my MCE remote (came with the Happauge HVR-1300MCE) doesn't work except surprisingly the green "MCE" button (changes display mode !) on the RC3 that I installed yesterday :shock: .

Strange, the remote (MCE clone) that came with PVR500MCE kit works flawlessly with my MP installation. I suspect this to be a driver issue. Have you tried other drivers?

Picture of the remote I'm talking about..
    pvr500mcekit+remote_small.jpg

Glith

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I use the iMON 2.4G remote.

sylvain_swe

Portal Member
    April 18, 2006
    Yes, WebKnight, it is the same ! (nice piece of equipment, missing only MCE's backlight ?)
    Bought this Happaugue after reading on Media Portal, as I use XP Home SP2 and my old Lifeview didn't match...
    But MP "working out of the box" wasn't so good for me :(
    - remote troubles (driver then ?)
    - TV chaos: super-slow autotune, unstable,... (RC4 better ?)
    Became crazy trying to find drivers for the MCE remote on Microsoft website :evil: finally after several hours found "replacement drivers" in one post. Would be gratefull if you can provide me with better ones, maybe the ones that you are using ?
    By the way, got only one "IR blaster" extension in the box, is it normal ?
    Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom