What remote technology is best to use with a HTPC? (1 Viewer)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Anyone have any suggestions on what remote technology is the best to use for a HTPC? The way I see it we have Bluetooth, WiFi and IR available, which offers the best functionality, responsiveness and range?

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Don't forget RF. Like IR, but far less directional and better range.

Wifi is "cool" but it means having apps on remote devices, getting software installed and set up to make it work with MP and a whole host of other things I think. Bluetooth is pretty easy and reliable if it is just acting as a standard Windows input device, nothing else needs to know what is going on. I have a Logitech DiNovo keyboard and it is completely responsive and you don't have to worry about where the receiver is in relation to the keyboard.

My remote on the other hand is a genuine Microsoft MCE remote (European) and the range is fantastic. you don't have to point it directly at the TV (with the receiver nestled in the stand). As long as you aren't lying on the floor in front of the TV pointing up at it, it will work (doing that means that the signal is blocked by the table).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom