What version of windows 7 ? (1 Viewer)

ipguy

Portal Pro
May 10, 2011
Home Country
Hi all
As I'm about to install MP, I was wondering what is the best version if windows 7 to install, starter ?

Shall I go 64bit ?

What's recommend for a pure htpc that will live full time in my lounge room for no other purpose but as a media center running MP ?

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi all
    As I'm about to install MP, I was wondering what is the best version if windows 7 to install, starter ?

Shall I go 64bit ?

What's recommend for a pure htpc that will live full time in my lounge room for no other purpose but as a media center running MP ?

Hi,

Although MediaPortal is a 32bits application, it works very well on a windows 7 64bits, and it's fully supported (see requirements : MEDIAPORTAL - Requirements).

If you have more than 4Gb, you have to go to 64bits to be able to use all the memory. If only 4Gb, it can be discuss : Windows won't use the all memory but it can be enought. Less than 4Gb, it's not usefull unless you plan to add some more RAM later.

About the starter version, I'm wondering if the not included "Create and play DVDs" feature (Compare Windows - Microsoft Windows) is a problem for MP or not. Maybe someone else can answer to that point.

And be aware that 64bits edition is not avalaible with starter edition...

Cheers.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would not go for a basic version of 7, missing to many multimedia features which could cause problems.

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    While MediaPortal itself will run just fine on Windows 7 x64, I am wondering if you should still go for 32-bit because of possible drivers issues with Video cards and, more importantly, TV-cards.

darkside40

Portal Pro
    August 17, 2009
    Ruhrgebiet
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Spooky: What do you mean by that? Do you mean that Windows 7 32bit is has not so good Driver Support like the 64bit Version. I always thought it was the other way around.

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hm, no generally the driver support for x64 by various manufacturers was not so good, but it is not a problem anymore nowadays. Or at least should not be.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just to add, no problem with 64bit drivers here and my hardware is getting a bit long in the tooth ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom