What's a good freeware XML editor? (1 Viewer)

jasonmorriso

Portal Pro
April 19, 2009
Home Country
Canada Canada
I'd like to modify the MyTorrents plugin (to add my own search site, and fix the broken Mininova parser), but trying to edit it in notepad gives me a headache.

What do all the skin makers and plugin authors use?

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I use .:: NOTEPAD++ ::. whenever I'm modifying any xml files. I've used it replace standard notepad.

Sure there's plenty of others too.

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    For me notepad++ was better as it does syntax highlighting; avoided me screwing up skin files accidently :):

Attachments

• scrsh_lexerXML.gif
      scrsh_lexerXML.gif
      78.9 KB

Epstone

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2007
    Riedstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm using the integrated editor in Visual Studio often, but if you don't have it on your computer and don't need it you should prefer notepadd++
    And turn on word completing ;)

PS: .:: NOTEPAD++ ::.
    there is a xml plugin which sounds very interesting, but I haven't tried it yet.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've been happy with MS's XML Notepad 2007. it's free. It displays the XML in tree format that you can expand and contract , duplicate and move stuff around... and being able to have multiple instances, you can drag controls and stuff from one to another.

Chuck

Attachments

• xml-notepad.jpg
      xml-notepad.jpg
      360.9 KB

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've used a couple and the tools that I mainly use now for skinning are;
    - PHPEd, mainly because it's immensily powerful with all kinds of features, search replacing with regex and stuff like that. It's a PHP editor so ofcourse used for other purposes as well and it's not free.
    - XMLSpy, either not free but the best xml editor out there.

Free solutions that I've used are;
    - XML Notepad (Microsoft)
    - Crimson Editor
    - and the mentioned Notepad++

Users who are viewing this thread