What's the best format for movies? (1 Viewer)

moltas

Portal Pro
April 6, 2005
Sweden
I am about to compress my movies from DVD to something else. I want to save space but still want good quality. (I have an old fashion television and no surround-sound (yet) so I don't need state-of-the-art quality.) Does anyone have some suggestion on what format to use? I am currently giong for XviD. Is it better with DivX or Mpeg? I realize that there are different degrees of compression but are there any one format that is "better"?

/Moltas

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
If you want the smallest files or the best quality for the size then H264 is best. Compared to XViD or DivX files can be up to 40% smaller for similar quality. However, it takes a fast CPU or a newer ATi or NVidia video card to even play it due to the complexity of the format. It also takes hours to compress a single hour of video but ATi has already demonstrated tools to speed up compression using a GPU and I'm sure NVidia is working on it as well.

Between XViD and DivX... they are about the same. One is open source and the other commercial. Frankly, I use XViD just so I don't have to see the DivX logo on all my videos.

You'll have to decide what format you want the audio in. AC3, MP3, etc...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Moltas

Must admit to convert/compress DVD's I use Magic DVD Ripper which gives you a choice of compression and codec, also does not seem to screw up using pc, and is pretty fast and Reliable.

8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom