When will MP be ready for prime time or at least be finished (1 Viewer)

kevon27

Portal Pro
January 26, 2006
I have a few complaints about MP. Yes, I can't program so i can't fix bugs myself and I have not contributed any money. But I'm gonna be a proud American an complain about stuff I get for free.

1. My music - why can't I rewind or fast forward cd's and MP3's with ease?
2. My tv - boy, do i hate this thing. If I could have returned the tv card, I would not bother with this feature. I'm even thinking of just paying Directv for their DVR. Video and sound glitches a plenty (even with the latest drivers for the pvr150).

Edit

3. I use the hauppauge 43 button remote. I when punch in a channel number, say 5 (fox 5 NY) MP changes to a completely different channel (UPN 9). So the only way for me to change a channel I have to scroll or use the tvguide. I can't just use the keypad. That really suck. Fix it!

All things said. MP ain't that bad. But its time for the product to be finished and Super stable. I can't even show off my setup to people because I'm afraid a glitch will make me look stupid.

How about not starting any new projects and put in some overtime to makeMP (current version) super stable and have all components work correctly?

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    If he would take as much time learning C# as writing complaints, he could have fixed it him self.

O

~ok|

1. My music - why can't I rewind or fast forward cd's and MP3's with ease?
    You may post this as a feature request in the appropriate portion of the forums. Maybe there https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=11535

2. My tv - boy, do i hate this thing.
    The TV engine is in rewriting right now. Just cross your fingers.

I when punch in a channel number, say 5 (fox 5 NY) MP changes to a completely different channel (UPN 9)
    At least you'd be glad to hear that it works with me :) (using either the internal MediaPortal plugin or Girder)
    At first, it sounds like a channel list wrongly set up ;) Look twice into your channel list via the configuration tool -> fox 5 should be at the 5th position from the top. There should be a check box at the bottom of the form (can't remember its name) that needed to be untick in this case.
    In fact there are so many possibilities that could have lead to remote control mapping mess-up that trying to list even a few here is way too long.

Yes I like complaining too so I know how it's frustrating not to have a fully capable home theater right now. But patience is a virtue and ATM MP development seems to be more focused on bug fixing than new features, which is good IMO.

tklon

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Re: When will MP be ready for prime time or at least be fini

kevon27 said:
    But I'm gonna be a proud American an complain about stuff I get for free.
    You are a hero... Save the world and stop complaining... :twisted:
    ... I'm afraid a glitch will make me look stupid.
    Not necessary... You did the trick...

wishywashy

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2005
    Hill AFB, UT
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

kevon27 said:
    3. I use the hauppauge 43 button remote. I when punch in a channel number, say 5 (fox 5 NY) MP changes to a completely different channel (UPN 9). So the only way for me to change a channel I have to scroll or use the tvguide. I can't just use the keypad. That really suck. Fix it!

In the MP configuration, did you check the box that says "select channel by index (non USA)"? Uncheck it and channel 3 will be channel 3 and channel 70 will be channel 70...

*side note*
    Not every American has their head stuck up their ass.

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country

kevon27 said:
    But I'm gonna be a proud American an complain about stuff I get for free.
    Thank god I'm not an American cause I'd be feeling pretty embarrassed by this kids whining... (No offence to Americans btw)
    How about not starting any new projects and put in some overtime to makeMP (current version) super stable and have all components work correctly?
    How about you put in some overtime and read the forums? I have 5 different TV cards and with some effort, they all work great!
    Hint: You've tried drivers, what about codecs? or TV signal or hardware... etc...

Yes, MP isn't perfect but it's more functional, more customisable and it works better then Microsoft Media Centre 2005. Being free just makes it amazing! When the new TV engine is released no-one will seriously be able to compare any other software to it, I am 'so drooling' over the percieved benefits....

kevon27, all you need to do is put in some effort (read) and ask some polite questions (if necessary) in the forums and you won't look like an idiot to your friends. Although you will need to keep your mouth closed too...

Nick Name

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I am very embarrassed by this post. :oops: But I am also a bit pissed off at these posts. :evil:

Like all the guys have said, please read the forums before posting. Your efforts would be better put to use if you requested these features instead of bitching about them.

My suggestion to you... Purchase a product that has support. (MCE, SageTV, BeyondTV..... Meedio :) ) At least when you call them to complain.. they can act like they care.

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ASiDiE said:
    [...]
    My suggestion to you... Purchase a product that has support. (MCE, SageTV, BeyondTV..... Meedio :) ) At least when you call them to complain.. they can act like they care.
    I think that the Hauppauge 150 is very nwell supported. My guess would be that Kevon would really help himself by grabbing the nothing that MP, as good (or bad) as it might be is still beta software. And that the reason for this is not the Google "if we keep it beat, nobody will complain and everybody will know it brand new and hip", but beta in the original way it was used. So the featureset is not fully complete. Ain't any way else. And yes, it's possible to get MP rock stable, including MyTV, but that's quite an effort and reading a lot on this forums.
    But please, keep reporting errors, with the support sheet, since:
    -It helps you
    -Its a great way for bugsquashing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom