Where are the TV server log files? (1 Viewer)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    The title says it all, i notice that some people are posting tv.log fiiles, but i searched my entire HD on my HTPC for such a file and it doesnt exist even though the TV server is running(and crashing).

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Uggh, seriously? I wish programs would just stay in their own directories. I really liked that with MediaPortal I could just delete the folder and be done with it, I didn't have to search down configuration files or log files in random folders scattered across my hard drive. Maybe there is a good reason for it, though.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Uggh, seriously? I wish programs would just stay in their own directories. I really liked that with MediaPortal I could just delete the folder and be done with it, I didn't have to search down configuration files or log files in random folders scattered across my hard drive. Maybe there is a good reason for it, though.
    Vista doesn't allow this, thus the change. Whole MP will follow soon, so it runs on vista out of the box without being in admin mode, etc. In fact you can already specify the place of the MP settings in an XML.

Short: Times change, so does the place of the settings. ;)

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Oh really. Strange. What doesn't Vista allow? An application writing to its own directory? That sounds like madness to me, but what would I know.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Oh really. Strange. What doesn't Vista allow? An application writing to its own directory?
    Exactly. For security reasons. Some things have got a bit more complicated for devs because of security stuff in vista. But nothing that can't be solved, see the settings place. ;)

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The guidelines of Microsoft already tell us for Windows XP that all application data
    should go in
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\manufactorer\product

or in

C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\manufactorer\product

In vista this is mandatory and no longer an option. Applications are not allowed
    to write/change files under c:\program files unless they run in administrator mode

Frodo

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks for then answers (and the ensuing explanations). I must admit that im no fan of the Documents and settings directory, i prefer application data to stay within the program folder.

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    I've seen an increasing number of applications adding shortcuts to their Start Menu->All Programs folders for their frequently accessed folders and/or log files. It may be worth considering doing the same with the MP installer, especially useful for new users.

Its possible that you've already done this, I really cannot remember the last time I used the installer.

Users who are viewing this thread