Where is the bug ? (1 Viewer)

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I travel a lot for work, usually I leave for three or four days. Every time I do so, within 24 hours I get a call from my wife telling me that MP does not work anymore. :mad: No TV, no music, no DVDs to keep the kids busy, in one word -disaster-. Every time I come back and check the system out all works great and I can't find anything wrong with it. Where is the bug?:D

VdR

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    you're going to have to get more information out of your wife.
    "not working" is probably the hardest thing to fix without any more info. Actually "working funny" is probably the hardest, but not working comes close.

Get her to give you a detailed description and check out the log files.
    I travel a lot too and my flat mate usually sms's me "TV not working" every so often. He now has figured out that I ignore any message without any detailed descriptions.

Nearly all the problems he has had have turned out to be because the system overheats because he never remembers to leave it in the home screen so it will shut off. Once it was the hard drive overheating after timeshifting TV for over a day and the second time was the grafix card overheating because it was left on continuosly during an Australian heat wave.

TVmecken

Portal Member
    February 8, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    For me this strange behaviour (MP is OK when I start, but fails when wife start) is now in the state where w refuse to turn on MP....

My wife ususally comes home first, she likes to rest watching MP-TV before starting evening work. It means she is the one that most often switch on MP when a night has passed.

So, nowdays I am the one starting MP... (she watch TV on the old 14" in the bedroom...) and I noticed actually that many times there has been system re-boot during the night (often followed by a nice message from M$ sying something like " Your computer has been shut down because of a severe error ...(mostly device driver oriented)). This fact, plus the message itself mess up the MCE command and MP reaction I think.

In any case, since I have MP restarted with Windows, all log files are lost.

Maybe next step would be to get a script to save all log files, say under new folders named with timestamp or someting, prior MP start?

(She still want me to record some programs so I need to keep MP restarting to protect the recordings)

MarcusB, agree that cooling could be one of the "hidden" problem, thanks for the tip of turning TV off when leaving MP running. Will try and include the command sequence to turn off TV in the Power Off sequence.

Thanks for listening...

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    @ TVmecken - Can you just set windows to auto restart and turn off error notifications? This was even if there is an error in the night the system will auto restart and MP will start clean. The message about the severe error could be your problem if it is fighting with MP for "On Top" status.

TVmecken

Portal Member
    February 8, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    MarcusB thanks again.
    Will check that too.
    Your first advice I put in the command sequence (for closing dow) now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom