[OTHER] Which card can handle rehandshake on hdmi (1 Viewer)

mba

Portal Pro
September 16, 2005
Aarhus
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi there

I have posted a question in the MP help section but I guess my problems are due to problems with a gfx card.

Can anybody suggest a cheap-ish gfx card (passively cooled) and driver combo that is actually able to handle a re-handshake on the dvi/hdmi port if the receiver or tv, was turned off when the htpc was resumed from standby.

I am now very tired of trying to get my htpc in a tolerant condition. It is not usable in my book if I can't use the htpc if it was started automatically to do a recording and I have to wait until the recording has finished and the system is asleep again. So any help would be greatly appreciated. I have spend days on trying to solve black-screen-on-resume issues with both a Radeon HD4350 and a NVIDIA 6150 onboard gfx card.

Best regards
Martin

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 BETA-1 rev23491
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3wide
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
CPU Type: Athlon 64 3500+
HDD: Samsung HDJ753LJ
Memory: 1GB
Motherboard: M2NPV-VM
Video Card: 6150 onboard
Video Card Driver: Nvidia 190.162
Sound Card: SoundMax HD Audio onboard
Sound Card Driver: SoundMax AD1986A Audio V5100X6110
1. TV Card: ASUS My Cinema P7131
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 13.3.5.3
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
TV: Sony 40W4000
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI through a Marantz SR5003

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    With nVidia, try installing driver version 182.50 or earlier (the HDMI handshake stuff was changed in later versions) and disabling the nVidia driver service (run -> msconfig -> services tab). Provided I have the TV on standby (not disconnected from the mains) resume/recording works OK for me with my 9500GT on Vista.

Tony

mba

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2005
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi and thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried the 182.50 previously but haven't had the service disabled. Just tried it, but it doesn't work. Best result is black screen at 1024x768@60Hz (I am running 1920x1080@50Hz).

Best regards
    Martin

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    The only other thing I can think of is to use something like the Gefen Inc. - DVI Detective N which clones the TV EDID info and fools the PC into thinking the TV is connected all the time.

Does it behave the same way if the connection is direct to the TV instead of via the Marantz receiver ?

Tony

mba

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2005
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Theres actually no picture at all when I go directly to the TV.
    I would be sorry to go that road. There must be a way to solve it with the hardware at hand or find a set of hardware that actually just "works".

Does anybody have a Marantz SR 5003 connected with DVI/HDMI to a Gfx card with drivers that delivers a picture when resumed from standby? I would love to know about a working setup that I could duplicate.

Best regards
    Martin

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Theres actually no picture at all when I go directly to the TV.
    I would be sorry to go that road. There must be a way to solve it with the hardware at hand or find a set of hardware that actually just "works".

Does anybody have a Marantz SR 5003 connected with DVI/HDMI to a Gfx card with drivers that delivers a picture when resumed from standby? I would love to know about a working setup that I could duplicate.

Best regards
    Martin

You could try searching/asking the question on the AVS Forum - Home Theater Computers - AVS Forum

Tony

Rayures

Portal Pro
    October 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Maybe not within your reach, but i would definitely try Windows 7.

I had similar issues with windows vista on my hd3200 system. For some reason no handshake is done after i turned the tv on. But i recently upgraded to Windows 7 and all my issues with hdmi sync are gone.

mba

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2005
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks for all the suggestions - as long as there are ideas I will not give up :D

I have tried most driver versions 190-178 with no success. I just bought a copy of Windows XP so buying Windows 7 is not the right solution for now :), I know there are nice features with W7 for example you can create a monitor driver that contains a hardcoded EDID and thereby ignores the EDID of the TV.

I haven't tried another HDMI cable, which I will soon.

The most success I have had until now was creating a batch-script running commands in the NvCpl.dll
    "
    rundll32.exe NvCpl.dll,dtcfg settvformat AA D5
    rundll32.exe NvCpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 0 1920 1080 32 50
    "
    I have allocated a button on my remote that activates this script. I am able to get TV back on if it is not totally lost. Sometimes there is handshake but the image is black and the resolution / refresh rate is wrong, here the script works. But sometimes the signal is completely lost and then the script doesn't work. It seems like the video output on the GFX card has been disabled. I haven't found a command in the NvCpl.dll that can reenable the output.

I found a description of the API in NvCpl.dll in http://developer.download.nvidia.co.../common/src/NvCpl/docs/NVControlPanel_API.pdf

Best regards
    Martin

Rayures

Portal Pro
    October 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for all the suggestions - as long as there are ideas I will not give up :D
    I know there are nice features with W7 for example you can create a monitor driver that contains a hardcoded EDID and thereby ignores the EDID of the TV.
    also possible in windows vista (know this because i did it myself)

and money is issue for not trying windows 7, because you can try windows 7 for free by jusing a release candidate.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom