which DVB-T card should I buy? (1 Viewer)

Tobbis

Portal Member
December 8, 2010
Oups heading was wrong, should be DVB-T.

I am planning to build a htpc and have choosen all parts except the tv card.
I finnaly decided to go for mediaportal and now wants a good tv card that I can use to get the free channels in sweden.

The card should be a DVB-T card since, I saw that Happauge have done a dvb-T2 card also but since I am not going to have these channels for over a year then I but another TV card later on.

So what do you think, what is your experience about the TV cards, do you reccomend any special, I can have both usb and pci cards.

BR /Tobias

tompa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 3, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

SimondusMaximus

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: which TVB-T card should I buy?

Hi Tobbis. For DVB-T I've tried a cheap (£25?) K-World pci card which was quite slow to change channel. A more expensive (£80) Black/Gold dual tuner, quite slow channel changes but otherwise works really well. But the best so far have been the Hauppauge Nove TD USB as Tompa says, and the Nove TD 500 dual PCI card. I prefer internal cards as my TV Server has plenty of expansion slots to play with, but they both perform equally well. I think both cost about £60.

Cheers and good luck!
    Si

Tobbis

Portal Member
    December 8, 2010
    Thx, I have looked at the Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-T 500-HD pci card which looks very nice.

Is it worth to take a tv card that has a remote to it? or is it enough to buy your own rmote if you want to.
    I plan to control my htpc with a keyboard that has a trackball.

Anyone else that has good experience about a tv card, is it big differnece on the cards when you want to change channel, is some of them very slow or?

SimondusMaximus

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: which TVB-T card should I buy?

I've never used the supplied remotes as I have clients in each room, so TV tuner is in the server. I've used Logitech Harmony remotes and they work well, though you have to buy a separate USB infra red receiver - pretty cheap on Ebay though (£5?).

As for keyboards I have one of these: Keysonic Slim Mini Wireless Media HTPC Keyboard.. | Ebuyer.com which works really well.

biohazardxxx

Portal Pro
    August 5, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: which DVB-T card should I buy?

Hi,

a few weeks ago I bought a WinTV NOVA-TD 500 and it is horrible!
    After suspending to hibernate/standBy it can't tune any signal even the WinTV software can't! I always have to restart the system.
    That's why I will try the new TerraTec Cinergy T PCIe Dual - DVB-T.
    It has also two tuner but even with only one Antenna needed. I really hope that MP will support this PCIe card.
    If you are interested I would report...

Best regards
    -Bio

Tobbis

Portal Member
    December 8, 2010
    please report how the TerraTec card works, to bad that your win nova card didnät work out, do you think it was faulty?

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am using a pretty old nova-t pci single tuner card and some days I am about to just rip it out of my computer but then I won't be able to watch tv though.
    It is a really crappy card because it is always having a bad signal on some channels and some days it has a bad signal on most channels although it is using an active antenna. The tv I am using has a passive antenna and gets all channels in good quality every day.

I also have an eye on that cinergy t pcie dual and I hope it will do good, but I guess any newer card will work better than my one does. And it has a dual tuner.

Did you buy it and does it work? Your post was written quite some ago.

biohazardxxx

Portal Pro
    August 5, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: which DVB-T card should I buy?

Hi,

sorry I forgot to write a report about the TerraTec Cinergy T PCIe Dual - DVB-T. :oops:
    But it is working like a charm with MP! I can really recomend it. The signal quality and steering of the Dual tuner is good.
    No problems with stand-by or hibernate like I had with the WinTV card.

But also I have to mention that I'm not using the remote that comes with that package. So I can not say if it is working or not.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions.

Greetings
    -Bio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom