Which Keyboard/Mouse for HTPC? (1 Viewer)

takingover

Portal Pro
April 10, 2006
UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,
I've been using MP for a while now, and to normally control it I use a VNC program to connect to it from another computer. However it's annoying if I want to do something on my HTPC which requires a keyboard as I have to turn my other machine on. So I've decided to get a keyboard/mouse for it.

I thought that this would be a simple process but it seems not, there are so many to chose from.

The first thing I need help on is should it be IR or RF? Does anyone know the advantages/disadvantages to them.

Second don't know whether to get a keyboard that has a trackerball on it save having two things that get lost.

Third, I've seen an IR keyboard (LINK) which can learn IR signals so it could possible control the TV. How effective are these systems?

Just wondered if people wanted to share their stories of which keyborads and stuff they used.

Jay

takingover

Portal Pro
April 10, 2006
UK
Home Country
What do I need to be able to use the Microsoft keyboard as I've seen that you need to be using Windows MCE? Is this true?

Jay

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    No just the mce update with The required files from KB888795.
    Will install, only if the MCE remote receiver (comes with remote) is installed.
    Bloody good, as is the mce remote.(gagging recommending, but so nice to use)

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I cannot stress this enough:

GO RF GO RF GO RF!!!
    (or GO BT GO BT GO BT)

you will remember me after a few months and think that some nut was yelling in that forum and he was right after all

takingover

Portal Pro
    April 10, 2006
    UK
    Home Country
    Right, Calm down NLS ;) I've decided to go RF, as the one i've found can work up to 15m. Also the layout of my room means that sometimes when I will want to use it i'll not be in direct view. All that said I've gone for the "Accuratus Touchball - 2.4GHZ Wireless Keyboard With Optical Trackerball".

I didn't go for the Microsoft Keyboard as I don't have the IR reciever so would mean having to buy that aswell.

Thanks for everyones ideas and sugguestions

faleloncio

Portal Pro
    August 31, 2006
    Badajoz
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Globlink GKM-700

I'm glad you found that multimedia keyboard. If someone want other similar, but small keyboard, this is my RF keyboard / optical trackball. Trackball only is active for 3 minutes when you press on it. After that time, trackball LED is automatically switched off if not in use.

03tb.jpg

Here is a review in spanish :sorry: http://www.hard-h2o.com/review/teclados/globlink-gkm700.html

Carlitos

Portal Member
    October 9, 2006
    MU
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I own one of these and it works like a charm even far from my HTPC.

wwallquist

Portal Member
    October 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I own a Globlink keyboard and recnetly bought a MCE remote, only to find that they are not compatible. My computer refuses to stay in standby or hibernate mode after installing the MCE remote. It only does that if I remove the keyboard receiver. Weird? Anoyone with the same experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom