Which language to learn to program... (1 Viewer)

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi, i would like to ask mp devs and any plugin developer also, what programming language do you recommend to learn.

I have basic knowledge of pascal, visual basic, qbasic, turbo c, and some website like php, html, also SQL.

I would like to go deeper into learning a language so what do u recommend? which is mp and plugins written? is that a good option?

thanks !!:D

MyPVR

Portal Pro
    September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Gixxer,

if you didn't have programmed a peace of code in any language, i would recommend to modify your questen:

Which language is a good one to start learning programming?

Regards,
    MyPVR

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    C# or Java are both good to learn OO concepts and are very populat. Both are very very similar, so learn one and you can use the other with little hassle. May also be worth learning a language such as PERL too, always comes in handy!

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    And if you're getting bored with these try Lisp or Haskell for an understanding of functional languages (though they have very limited real world usage).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    And if you have any need for direct show filter development skills try to pick up the C++.

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well that really depends what you are planning todo.
    If it's just hobby programming i would vote for C# - so you can help us out ;)
    If it's for business i would go for java and perhaps C++ but that's (c++) a lot harder to learn

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    wow thanks alot for all the answers !!! really usefull.

MyPVR i have some programming knowledge already as i said in my first post.

Thanks for the suggestion Inker but im trying to put my effort into the one i can use the most.

gemx thanks a lot for your comment. as u say, its a hobby nothing proffesional, so im trying to learn something thats not that difficult and that can be widely use. i guess that if mediaportal is coded in C# then this language offers way over my limits therefore its good for me. indeed any help to mp community will come as soon i can offer it. as i said i do have other language knowledge so minor things can start to appear sooner.

thanks for all the suggestions.

btw, if anyone knows of a good place to pickup manuals. any specific book i should look for, etc..

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom