Which mainboard can disable PCIE in Bios? (1 Viewer)

htpcfreak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,
    is there a Mainboard (best a AMD785 Chipset mainboard), that can disable the PCIe Slot? I cant find one. Maybe a another Chipset with 1080p Grafik onboard?

Why i need it? because i will add a more powerful GPU in my HTPC to play sometimes Games on it. In most time the HTPC works as a TV Machine so i don't need the Powerfull Card, then i will use the OnBoard HD4200 for example. On this way the Powerful GPU don't need Power and dont turn the Temperature up in my case.

When there isn't a Mainboard, maybe a another Solution? Like a risercard for PCIe with a switcher or something else?

Edit:
    it must be a mATX Board.

Edit:
    I have found a site who shows a bios screenshot about this Options:
    http://www.hardware-praxis.de/praxis/artikel/d/pci-express-grafikkarte-optimal-einstellen.html
    The Screenshot:
    http://www.hardware-praxis.de/index...> | </a>&md5=cbe2b9c9b7389489834a87156f056207

But no information about the Board :(

JoeSmith

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Which mainboard can disable PCIE in Bios?

i think the new radeons (5***) have a very low power consumption when they are idle. They clock down and lower gpu voltage. From what i have read the idle consumption is lower than 20W (more like 15W) depending on the model. I myself use a HD4670 which is said to have an idle consumption of only 8W.
    If you now compare price to value i think its not useful to have two graphic cards (the not working card will never be using 0W) because the internal version will also drain some power (i would guess at least 5W).

So i would take a look at the 57** series (if that is enough power for you) and forget about the onboard card. If the non-onboard card consumes more than 10W more than the onboard then the price for power will be ~18€ a year if your htpc runs for 24hs a day (10W*24h*365d = 87600W:1000W = 87,6 kw - the price for a kW here is ~0.2€ = 17.52€).
    Now i'm guessing that your htpc doesn't run all the time so it's even less. On the bonus side you'll get smoother play and advanced features and you don't need to reboot to play games, ...

Because of the rather low power consumption the heat dissipation should be quite low too

Joe

htpcfreak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Re: AW: Which mainboard can disable PCIE in Bios?

Thx for the info!

For first i thing something like "LOL ... sure, a 5*** card who need extra powerconnection becourse the 75W Problem in PCIe, and, and, and ..." But after googeling a little bit i also find out that for example the 5750 needs in real only this ~16W in idle (Windows), on Bluray play for example i saw a test who said that this card use about 2% of usage for encoding a BluRay, thats about ~25W! Thats great. And for last i found a new model from Powercolor (will be possible to buy it in some next weeks), his name is "PowerColor Radeon HD 5750 Go! Green". This Card is the first one from the 57** Series that dont need the extra Powerconnection and use maximal this PCIe limitted 75W by givving the same power like the other 5750 Cards. Nobody test it, but the idle power is maybe also a little lower ... i hope this card is soon buyable ... I thing this will be my next Card!

The Power for gaming, dont do it so often and just some controllergames like FIFA, SF4, ... is absolutly enought for me! And on this some hours in year its no problem when this card use about 70W. Maybe i have some new options or bether TV Picture quality? :D

On this way like you say i can disable the OnBoard Card and use only this 5750 Card.

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Google for "hybrid sli" and "geforce boost". I haven't tried it myself but it might be what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom