Which motherboard and case to chose, cheap?

Discussion in 'Mainboards / CPU / RAM' started by Kulle, April 1, 2006.

1. Kulle

Kulle Portal Member

Electronics technician
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello,

I have now oficially chunked my Shuttle ST62k, because it would not wake up from hibernate/standby when a recording was due.

SO - now I have a Celeron 2,8Ghz CPU, 512MB Kingston RAM, 250GB IDE H and a PVR150mce TVcard lying around.

I only need a cheap Motherboard that can use the Celeron processor and a nice case. What would you recommend?

I would need SPDif output on the motherboard, and an ATI VGA integrated solution would be nice. Alternately I would just add a AGP or PCIexpres ATI card afterwards. If you can recommend the cheapest one around?

ATI because I would like to use the VGA to RGB cable I have made for my 28" widescreen CRT TV :)

I like the Silverstone cases, are they ok?

Price is everything, and I would only use the computer to listen to music and record/watch TV :)

Sincerely

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Portal Pro

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Home Country:
    i bought a coolermaster case which was quite nice, i had pulled my dell apart for it, but the case was too big for my entertainment unit, so i put it all back in the dell case...

anyway...have a look at coolermaster...really nice for a HTPC setup

4. aforonda

aforonda Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are celerons really adequate for the amount of horsepower you need for a mediaportal box?

5. hmass

hmass Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. Trombon

Trombon Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    I also use the Enlight case with a Asus A8n-vm-csm (AMD) motherboard and think it's ok for the price. The included p/s is pretty quiet but the fans was a bit noisy so I added a Zalman Fanmate 2 to lower the speed.

There is a review here: http://www.caseclosed.co.uk/review_enlight_7473.htm

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!