Which of these cards would you suggest (1 Viewer)

Vic Thornley

Portal Member
November 12, 2012
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Which of these cards would anyone suggest for a HDTV, HD Video Client PC.

Nvidia GT210 512mb
Nvidia GT520 1gb
PNY GT8400GS 512mb
MSI Nvidia N210 1 gb
Gforce 210 1gb
Asus Radeon HD5450 512mb

all PCIe

These cards I can get locally with discount, I dont need blistering games - just decent HDTV, HD Video playback, live TV etc.

Many thanks.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    GT520 or the HD5450, depends on how high settings choices you want, currently a better bet is the GT430\HD5670 as these have more HD playback options.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so be aware I run a GT220 ;)

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    I have the sapphire radeon HD5450 and its been great for playing everything I throw at it so far. Definitely recommend it. I have the fanless 1GB version:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11...D4CO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353363967&sr=8-1

I have always used ATI and never had a problem.

I am building a new client at the moment and I am going to go for:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-A-Serie...TF8&colid=2HFH7K864N2YW&coliid=I2Z2ONXWS4O9QN

It has an integrated GPU and I think it should be perfect for a HTPC client. These chips are great value for money.

Also, when I have some money :) I am going to upgrade my gaming HTPC with this card:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008HV63F0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Vic Thornley

Portal Member
    November 12, 2012
    Nottingham, United Kingdom
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    ummm, The AMD cpu/gpu combo looks a good bet for a client I plan to build later - will cost it up, seems a good saving to have both on one package.

I could get the sapphire card from local PCW with discount making it cheaper than Amazon (considering postage as well), plus its low profile makes it a good choice for my new case (when it arrives)

Cheers.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I'd leave the HD5450 on the shelf and buy the HD6450 instead (it has twice as many stream processors in the same form-factor/passive cooling).

Tony

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    It's more a matter of getting the best video quality - Full HD HDTV (1920 x 1080i - e.g. UK Freeview HD) to a 1920 x 1080p screen is about as tough as it gets for a video card in HTPC use.

With the lower-performance cards you may be forced to live with lower-quality de-interlacing methods for HD because they just don't have the resources to support the best quality method ('Vector Adaptive' for AMD).

Tony

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom