Which renderer for Judderfree playback (1 Viewer)

Vertigo1

Portal Member
November 5, 2008
Even if I remove the registry setting I still can't get the script to work. Using the dc.exe utility to change the refresh rate but, when I start the video, the refresh rate changes successfully but I then get about 2 seconds of blank screen and it dumps me back at the My Videos screen with the file still highlighted. Selecting it again then runs it correctly. Any idea why this might happen? Almost like MP is timing out waiting for the script to complete and giving up on the vid and returning to the interface (I'm guessing here)

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I'm now using the Automatic RefreshRate component, as it changes refresh rate before the video starts, and hence you don't get any jerking behaviour at the beginning of playback. I didn't have anything special going on in the script. I would suggest you see if Powerstrip behaves in the same way as dc.exe.

Vertigo1

Portal Member
    November 5, 2008
    Powerstrip is a non-starter for me as it refuses to change the refresh rate on my 3650 card for some reason.

What's this Automatic RefreshRate component you mentioned?

db_no

Portal Member
    August 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I only get judder when using spdif.. When using analog stereo it is fine..
    Any ideas?
    Using Reclock helped, but i donæt really know how to use reclock...

Any FAQ or manual for helping with judder?

putkonen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I'm watching 720P and 1080P videos with MP & ReClock, but I have not been able to get to a stage where a frame is never dropped. It seems that once every few seconds one frame is dropped, but this is really noticeable only during pans in the video. I have no idea what causes this. ReClock seems happy (icon is green), I'm using CoreAVC for MPEG4, X2 6000+ CPU is not overloaded. Could some background process play a part?

Has someone been able to really set up his HTPC so that it never drops frames? If so, it would be nice to see configuration of such a system.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @ db_no and putkonen,

I don't really know if all this has been said to you or not, but here it is anyways. Maybe it helps you find your solution to your problem.

I think you have more or less the same issue. The big difference between SPDIF and analogue audio is that a Dolby Digital signal cant be speeded up or slowed down. With an analogue signal this is easily done. Just pitch the sound a couple of percent up or down, and the sound goes faster/slower. Technically, SPDIF only referres to the kind of cable/link that goes out from your htpc. But I guess these days the signal going trough it is 9 out of 10 times Dolby Digital or DTS.

Video comes in various formats: 24 frames per second (fps) 25fps 29.975fps and 30fps. Depending on what file is played, where its from etc.
    If the HTPC is set at a different screen refreshrate than the video source, there is a mismatch. Then frames will be skipped or sound needs to be adjusted. I believe this is the root of judder free playback anytime.

So what causes the panning screens to judder? Its a mismatching setting of the HTPC's refreshrate and the video source file. If the audio cant be adjusted a little bit to the video file, the video has to be adjusted. Thus resulting in frame skipping, 3:2 pull down, etc. This is the difference or the effect that SPDIF has compared to analogue audio. To test this, you can try just one media file @ 24, 50 and 60hz for refreshrates and see what the difference is.

At this moment I have a perfect system. Im using SPDIF DTS/DD sound + perfect image in panning scenes.
    I use a slightly modified version of mediaportal 1.0. Gibman altered the Core.dll file of it for us. For details see this thread. Now what happens on my HTPC is that before playback of a video source, the framerate of the file is determined. After that the best matching refreshrate is chosen to set the HTPC at, and THEN the source file is played. In my situation, this results in a absolutely perfect playback in 99% of all cases. And ofcourse with the use of DTS/DD sound.

Hope this helps you in your quest to perfection :D

putkonen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Edterbak,

Thanks for your comments. I think you mostly answered to db_no.

I'm always using same refresh rate on my projector as the PC has (though at the moment I like to change the settings manually). For example I use 1080p24 for movies. I decode AC3/DTS first and then re-encode PCM to AC3 using Reclock.

As I said, I don't get constant judder, but an occasional dropped frame.

fanoI

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    It seems the possibility to use Reclock + vbs script is broken in my setup at least :mad:

I'm using the last reclock by slysoft, MP 1.0.0.0 final and my VGACard is Nvidia 6150... for start I've used the NVIDIA cmd call (WshShell.Run """rundll32.exe""nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 2 1920 1080 32 24") but I've the stop playing video after black screen issue... the same thing works well with the ridicolous Windows Mediaplayer :rolleyes:... reading this thread seems MP don't like this way to change refresh rate... too brutal for him :D

So I've tried DisplayChanger approach... that iss aid that doesn't provoke the "device reset" that annoys MP... but sadly the behavior is the same :mad:

It seems I've to use the AutomatcRefreshRate plugin.... but it works only with MP and at least the version I've tried some time ago was - sorry to say - very buggy... sometimes MP crash when there was a frame rate change...
    Maybe it works well now... I don't understand why reclock must be broken :mad:

fanoI

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom