[Blog] While You Were Sleeping: Skins #1 (1 Viewer)

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    While You Were Sleeping: Skins #1

*************Note from the Author***************
    Here is our first WYWS: Skins blog. First off I want to apologize for being tardy in getting this blog out, but work got in the way (don't you hate that?). I had a hard time figuring out how to best write the blogs on skins. WYWS: Plugins just lists the plugins that are new or updated, but I can't to that for skins as there would be a good chance of a monthly skin blog containing the following info:

"We have skins. No, really, we do"

And that wont cut it, so I will just wing it until WYWS: Skins finds its own natural flow and style. As for which skins and why, it's simple: I will be covering skins that the designer has take time to get with me and let me know what is going on with said skin and I will talk about them in alphabetical order. So here we go...

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I had a hard time figuring out how to best write the blogs on skins. WYWS: Plugins just lists the plugins that are new or updated, but I can't to that for skins as there would be a good chance of a monthly skin blog containing the following info:

"We have skins. No, really, we do"
    One suggestion would be to highlight a particular skin sometimes - especially new ones - and provide more in depth info about the skin. The Repository listing provides an abstract but it would be nice to read about such things as:
    • the concept behind the design
    • why the designers undergo the torturous task of developing a skin
    • the unique features
    • the designers likes and dislikes about skinning for MP
    • hopes/plans for future versions
    Links to the Repo listing to download should be standard imo, as well as links to the Skins Gallery or other pages to view screenshots. And of course links to any skin Wiki pages! ;)

EDIT: Just noticed the headings are links :oops: (that was not obvious to me at first)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    I apologize in advance for my criticism and I am trying to be as constructive as possible here. I have immense respect for the work Lyfesaver is doing and I think that public relations is an area where MediaPortal in the past has had room to improve, so these new blog posts in concept kick ass.

But that said I feel like this post, like some past posts is a bit lacking. Skins are so visual, where are the screen shots?? Why are there not big fat download icons for each featured skin? The Avalon skin is the second skin highlighted and it gets a total of two sentences? This makes no sense to me.

I respect the heart behind this post but I don't really see how it effectively promotes any of the skins mentioned here, to either existing or new users.

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks, Mustayaluca is sweet. My new favorite skin :cool:
    I'd also like to say: moar pics plz :D

ysmp

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 17, 2008
    Seoul.
    Home Country
    South Korea South Korea
    Hi Lyfesaver74, thanks for all your work,much appreciated .

1.some more skins worth manchain ..PureVision's skins,Black Glass's skins,Frames (all well update to MP1.2.1)

2. a blog abut Deda work ,the new "my videos" , and for sure abut his work on "Settings configuration inside MP" wich is a big thing for MP (i remmenber most complains in others forums abut MP for new users was that setting is out of MP) i think it's big announcement for MP.

:D

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    Hi Lyfesaver74, thanks for all your work,much appreciated .

1.some more skins worth manchain ..PureVision's skins,Black Glass's skins,Frames (all well update to MP1.2.1)

Thanks ysmp, but like I said in the blog, I talked about those skins because the developers took the time to tell me that their skins have been updated. Each skinner and developer needs to take 3-5 mins out of their busy schedule and drop me a PM. All it has to say is "Hi Chad. My skin, called GrapeJuice, has had some updates since last month. Here they are:

Change 1
    Change 2
    New feature 1
    New feature 2
    ...etc..."

I can't be running around all over the forums or send every one a PM asking if they have done any work. I do not mind helping to promote someone's skin or plugin, but they have to want to help themselves.

2. a blog abut Deda work ,the new "my videos" , and for sure abut his work on "Settings configuration inside MP" wich is a big thing for MP (i remmenber most complains in others forums abut MP for new users was that setting is out of MP) i think it's big announcement for MP.

:D

I agree, the work Deda has done needs to be promoted, and will be the feature discussed in December's "What Sayeth You?" blog. But as it is not a skin, I could not include it in this blog.

Thx for the input ysmp =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom