Completed Whole House Media system (1 Viewer)

plotto

Portal Member
October 4, 2007
AKL
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi, I have finished my media center for the house and thought I would share.

Lounge server, Kitchen Server and Rumpus HW

AMD Athlon 64X2 5000+ 2.6ghz
2 Gb Ram
80gb Hdd
Nvidia Geforce 8400GS
DVDR
Hauppauge Nova DT Dual DVB
Logitech Harmony 525
MCE Keyboard
Windows 7
MP Latest
Streamed MP Latest

Plus
2 x 500gb External HDD
2 x 1tb External HDD
2 x 2tb External HDD
Sherwood RD-7502
Wii
IR Extender

The Computers are all based in the Garage, about 5-10 Meters from the Screens in the lounge, kitchen etc.
The system is running on HD and is delivered to the Screens (42" plasma Lounge, 24"LCD everywhere else) via HDMI to Cat5 Converters (Can extend up tp 100ft)
Audio in the lounge is 5.1 stand up speakers via the Sherwood Audio AMP .
Speakers in the rumpus and Kitchen are in the ceiling.
All the monitors are Mounted on wall mounts that can extend off the wall and swivel and tilt, even the 42"

There are also 2 MSI Netbooks running MP as well so that my daughters can watch tv, listen to music from anywhere in the house.

And for the BBQ area when I entertain, I use my Ipaq pocket PC to Control the music and serve it up thru some outdoor speakers around the BBQ area.

All-in-all this was done on the cheap, and it has been a long struggle but have finally got there, I hope.

SDC12887.JPG

Lounge
SDC12888.JPG

Movable in all directions
SDC12881.JPG

Kitchen
SDC12882.JPG

Kitchen Extended
SDC12884.JPG

Server, AMP, Wii and the 3 Externals

bhengeveld

Portal Pro
December 11, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Really great integration. And I guess the least noisy one. Props! I didn't know of the HDMI->CAT5/6 converters, so that's good inspiration. Thnx!

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi plotto, nice setup you have there!!!

I came across this thread which interests me a lot because I'm thinking of having the ability to use my HTPC functionality on another place in the house.
    I guess like the most of the users here, I had the idea of adding another HTPC/MP client but your setup is definitely an interesting approach!

There are a few things that I don't understand:
    1) how do you manage to connect multiple screens (seems to be more then 2) to 1 system - I understand the use/function of the HDMI/Cat 5 extenders here which is a great solution.
    2) how does it work to use the iPaq to control MP?
    3) how do you control your system aside from using the iPaq?
    4) how did you connect the keyboard in the kitchen

plotto

Portal Member
    October 4, 2007
    AKL
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi plotto, nice setup you have there!!!

I came across this thread which interests me a lot because I'm thinking of having the ability to use my HTPC functionality on another place in the house.
    I guess like the most of the users here, I had the idea of adding another HTPC/MP client but your setup is definitely an interesting approach!

There are a few things that I don't understand:
    1) how do you manage to connect multiple screens (seems to be more then 2) to 1 system - I understand the use/function of the HDMI/Cat 5 extenders here which is a great solution.
    2) how does it work to use the iPaq to control MP?
    3) how do you control your system aside from using the iPaq?
    4) how did you connect the keyboard in the kitchen

Hi Peter2,
    Sorry I should have been a little more clearer.
    Each Screen in the different locations has a PC attached to it in the garage. In the last photo you can see the Black case is the lounge Server, and then to the right you can see the side wall of one of the other PC's.

I use the Ipaq to connect via wireless to a crapy old Compaq Thin Client running XP as its only serving up music (No keyboard or screen) and I use Winamp with the Browse Amp plugin which has a nice simple screen for the IPAQ.

The Lounge system controlled via Logitech Remote, All others are controlled with Media Keyboard and Mouse which are Wireless.

Hope this Helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom