Ongoing Whole house technology solution (1 Viewer)

MikeKulls

Portal Member
December 26, 2011
Home Country
You are absolutely right this is not a power saver. With the RAID controller and ESXi set to maximum power saving it takes around 80watt in low / idle load scenarios. With high load on the RAID it goes up to ~140watt.

However, I already had the ESX server running in addition to the TV Server. So moving the TV Server to my ESXi server did reduce my power consumption :D

That could be a good solution in your scenario. However I chose Media Portal due to the Server / frontend function. This way all PCs / media centres in the house can access it, I can access it remote on my iPAD and phone via VPN

Have you tried shutting down all other VMs? Or you could try playing around with Resource Pools.

I completely agree. For me the ESX was a way of reducing the amount of hardware. Initially I came from a NAS, a firewall, a TV Server, a Domain Controller, a SSL VPN box and a test PC, all that is now running on the ESX. On this hardware I currently run 8 computers and I have spare capacity.
An added bonus is the snapshot functionality. Whenever a MS Windows or Media Portal updated comes out, I can just take a snapshot before the update is applied. And should something go wrong I have an easy way back:)
[/Quote]

80 to 140W isn't as bad as I expected, I'd rate you at 2 freezers :). Currently I use 105 to 140watts for my server but this includes the switch, modem, micro server and a rather inefficient UPS. With regards the UPS I just worked out today via google that a big UPS with a small load will be inefficent. I am looking at getting a smaller UPS. I'm interested to know about the power saving features of ESXI. Can you save power without putting it to sleep?

With regards the HDHomeRun I really don't want to run just that, the reason I got it is because I don't have VT-d and USB passthrough didn't work so the only option is network. Basically I want to run it the way yours is running.

I will try a few other things with ESXi to see what I can achieve. It might very well be possible although there have been a few people in this thread who haven't been able to get it to work with better hardware than mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Just for clarity. I thought having mobile clients for MP2 would be cool. Hence a lot of thought about firewall and edge traversal/security if I access server from outside my network. But from everything I can find MPExtended isn’t yet released for MP2, so the iPhone app won’t work to watch MP2 server content? I’m guessing MP1 is...
Just for clarity. I thought having mobile clients for MP2 would be cool. Hence a lot of thought about firewall and edge...
I'm struggling to get MP2 working here on just a client/server on same machine config. I'm running Win7. The eventual goal is a...
Replies
Views
Great! Will you capture this in a Jira so that it shows up in the Changelog?
Great! Will you capture this in a Jira so that it shows up in the Changelog?
MediaPortal 2 Version: 2.1.3 Description Hi there, first of all many thanks for all the great work you are doing! I run a...
Replies
Views
Well, the forum is quite a lot quieter than that MediaPortal forum, but I suppose a firewall is slightly less sexy than an HTPC :-)
Well, the forum is quite a lot quieter than that MediaPortal forum, but I suppose a firewall is slightly less sexy than an HTPC :-)
Hi all, I thought I would post on here to see if anyone in the community uses IPFire for their home router solution? Basically...
Replies
Views
I am trying to play LiveTV video within RadioTime plug-in and can't get any video channels to play. All the radio channels play fine. Most of the video files are Windows Media Video v8/9/10 I made sure both wmv3 wmv10 codecs in LAV and FFDshow are checked. I see that RadioTime is now a new software company called TuneIn How do I find...
I am trying to play LiveTV video within RadioTime plug-in and can't get any video channels to play. All the radio channels play...
I am trying to play LiveTV video within RadioTime plug-in and can't get any video channels to play. All the radio channels play...
Replies
Views
Anecdotal testimonies are not helpful. If you guys would like to continue this chat, I'll move this thread to the Café section. The discussion about your issues is taking place here: Installation failing
Anecdotal testimonies are not helpful. If you guys would like to continue this chat, I'll move this thread to the Café section...
I have been looking for a replacement to Windows Media Center for a little over a year.No luck. Now, I'm no Microsoft fanboy, but I...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom