WHS + HDHR TV Server help (1 Viewer)

Justintoxicated

Portal Member
July 4, 2010
So I have an HDHR which has dual network tuners.

I have a WHS server that is always on.

I want to put the media portal TV server on the WHS box so that:
1) I can watch TV on 2 different computers without worrying about one computer stealing the tuner from the other.
2) Enable connection to the TV server when my HTPC is not on. This is why it makes most sense to have the server installed on my server! Otherwise I have to leave 2 computers on ALL the time.

Is this possible? I keep trying to search for directions but most of the links I'm pulling are not in English so I cannot figure out the process.
:D

Justintoxicated

Portal Member
July 4, 2010
thanks yhoogi!

I guess I can't do what I want because I do not yet have a drive outside of the storage pool.

However I can't even figure out where to download the TV server from or how to install it anywhere let alone on WHS...

Do I just need to re-download Media Portal?

If I want to install the server on my HTPC, do I need to re-install media portal?

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You will have to start a remote desktop session, or login locally to the server.
    Via the connector software, you will not be able to install the TV-Server

Nevertheless,

If you have only the storage pool, the I/O performance is not sufficient for a continuous data stream.

Cheers,

Justintoxicated

Portal Member
    July 4, 2010
    You will have to start a remote desktop session, or login locally to the server.

Nevertheless,

If you have only the storage pool, the I/O performance is not sufficient for a continuous data stream.

Cheers,

Where do I get the TV server installer though?
    Does the Drive for the TV server need to be 7200 RPM or simply formatted with different size blocks (thats the issue I used to have for sage). I'll probably end up picking up another drive but for now I will try installing the TV server on the HTPC box itself. But the problem is I have no idea where to get the TV server installer from... If it's part of the media portal package, then please forgive me as my internet at home has been down all week :(

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Nevertheless,

Cheers,

Where do I get the TV server installer though?
    Does the Drive for the TV server need to be 7200 RPM or simply formatted with different size blocks (thats the issue I used to have for sage). I'll probably end up picking up another drive but for now I will try installing the TV server on the HTPC box itself. But the problem is I have no idea where to get the TV server installer from... If it's part of the media portal package, then please forgive me as my internet at home has been down all week :(

The Standalone Tv-Server is an option in the mp setup.
    The drive for TV storage and temp should be not included in the pool, but kept seperate.
    Best would be to configure a remote terminal session to WHS, which gives you access to the desktop even w/o any graphic card, keyboard, etc.
    See for config also:
    HowTo: Remote Desktop Verbindung anstatt WHS Konsole nutzen : Home Server Blog
    Its in German, but the pictures are quite self-explaining
    Drive performance is secondary; i.e. even a 5400 should be sufficient but 7200 is of course better if you record several broadcasts in parallel.
    No specific formatting required.
    Tmp as well as stored records can be kept there and accessed. From thereon it is more a matter of CPU performance.

Cheers,

Justintoxicated

Portal Member
    July 4, 2010
    Ok I can't seem to download everything that I need. I found the TV server in a temp folder that media portal uses to download all the other necessary components. However I'm having some issues with the installer when I select the option to download the necessary components. I can't seem to get past the Media Player 11 download. It is forcing me to download and install WMP11 but I have Win7 and WMP 12. So I can never get to the Database download so I can't setup the TV server....

Jelmo

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: WHS + HDHR TV Server help

- Install WHS
    - Install drivers
    - Activate audio service, enable grafic-hardware acceleration (if needed)
    - Windows-updates
    - Create 1st image (optional)
    - Install WMP11
    - Install dvbfix
    - Install directX 9.x
    - Install MP

Cheers

Justintoxicated

Portal Member
    July 4, 2010
    Re: AW: WHS + HDHR TV Server help

- Install WHS
    - Install drivers
    - Activate audio service, enable grafic-hardware acceleration (if needed)
    - Windows-updates
    - Create 1st image (optional)
    - Install WMP11
    - Install dvbfix
    - Install directX 9.x
    - Install MP

Cheers

Yea, thats not going to work when you get DX 10 and WMP12 by default with win 7...

Anyways I'm still not able to get this software working.
    When I launch the TV-Server Configuration I get the following error
    GentilConfig.PNG

So I select "OK"

Then I get this screen

SQLServer.PNG

I don't know what Schema Name to use? I don't even remember media portal setting up the sql server when it installed...

Justintoxicated

Portal Member
    July 4, 2010
    Ok Since no one seems to know or be able to provide proper instructions for installing a TV server after installing media portal without one I'll document my findings.

I decided to scrap my entire install and re-install from scratch. While doing so I believe that I could have just selected the new install option rather than the update option and I probably would have been ok.

However, now I have about 20 hours of configurations to run through again. I had a hell of a time trying to find information on re-installing Media portal so I would not have to re-configure, so after a few hours I decided to just start over...Really sucks that it takes so long to set everything up....

So now I have the TV server and stations but I go to setup guide data and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it! With Sage TV, i'd just enter my location and TV service and presto, it would pull all the data from Zap2It. There were other options if you did not want to use Zap2It, but it worked flawless and took about 2 minutes to setup...

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get guide data with media portal, rather than some advise to PAY for it. I'm using OTA TV ATSC HDHR tuner and do NOT want to pay for TV. Searching the forum I am only reading that it does not work? Is this true? If so I may have to go back to finding another media center....But I think I have already tried them all....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom