Why building an HTPC is a lottery... (1 Viewer)

Jean-Christophe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2005
    Liege - Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    To who it might be useful for.

A few month ago, I tried to get some information about DVB-S.
    My goal was to find a tuner that works fine with MediaPortal and the service provider. I asked the community (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/tv-cards-333/belgium-provider-telesat-compatible-card-70478/) without answer.

I went into my project and tried to have specific recommendation about software/hardware to use to avoid as much problem as possible. The wiki is full of information but it remains generic.

I proposed to have an official supported configuration list. I was treated like a terrorist by people not understanding the difference between "supported" and "working". (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-about-restricting-support-specific-os-75758/)

Then, I made what I was thinking right. I tried to find hardware that match my needs and select the ONE between a list of possible tuner. It is supposed to be supported by MP.

At this point, I had the hardware, the software and the service provider. It never worked like expected.

RC3 arrived, full of good intention. One again, I was disappointed. (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-1-0-rc-3-519/technotrend-scrambled-channel-82296/)

My conclusion is : MediaPortal is a very good piece of software! Nicely documented and maintained, but is too much versatile to be stable.
    I guess some user had the same process as me. Starting from nothing to build a small, cheap and efficient HTPC. They could be very disappointed by the final result...

Please, give us a guide line!

I mean... a lot of function have there own hardware (dvb-s, dvb-t, dvb-t, fm, dab, etc.). Why not give people a list of supported hardware with OS/Driver matching table?
    I can give you my info : Technotrend DVB-S2 TT-3650-CI doesn't work well with any OS or driver version within MP (the official software works like a charm).

I still give my support to MP and I hope the community will learn from stories like this one.

labrok

May 21, 2010
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    its worthless to spend 8 hours to install this software and finally to see that foe stupid reasons like the lack of supported codecs its not possible to work ON MY COMPUTER, whatever i tried i always had an issue that was getting me to the start, its not worthing to try more, i am uninstalling the programa and back to wmc:mad:

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Bye then...
    If you would like to stay, then ask questions and hope the fantastic community here will help.
    Logs will provide LOTS of info for the people who can help too.

Personally I'm sick of whingers - either do some research and ASK for help - or go quietly away...
    I like to help people who are at least willing to help themselves and others.
    Posting about how bad you think MP is helps nobody UNLESS you post actual issues and logs.

I'd suggest closing this thread...

To the OP - I use the Hauppauge HVR 4000 without issue, though it's in the UK.
    I'd suggest posting about the issues you have in the correct forum and posting logs (people do get a bit upset if you don't post logs - take it from one who knows!)

M

mjmapi

Sorry to hear about your bad experience guys, i suppose once i felt like you, even thought of going back to MCE but deep down i knew it did not compare, my 5c advise?

-Just stick to SAF for codec, remove anything else
    -I'm using XP SP3,most forum member's have vouched for Windows 7 ,personally i was not happy running my HTPC in it because of conflicts with MCE,i was running the ULT edition
    -PC system specs?, go according to your budget,anything you can install any of the above OS on MP should be happy with it
    -TV cards,choose something tried and tested in MP, i personally prefer Hauppauge, and I'm currently using WinTV-PVR-500 MC.
    -Everything else from there should be a matter of setup and configurations.
    -If all goes well, you will have the best HTPC software ever,
    -As SpudR stated, ask and you shall be assisted, All the best with whichever software you finally choose.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    To make my point clear, the goal is to request a validated components list.

1. don't buy Asus
    2. if already got Asus, you will need ear muffs (fan noise)
    3. don't expect anything to run stable with it, except of course its own "Splendid" software, which then mucks up anything else and creates bottlenecks.

Joke over ;)

solas989

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 17, 2009
    Ohio
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    To make my point clear, the goal is to request a validated components list.

1. don't buy Asus
    2. if already got Asus, you will need ear muffs (fan noise)
    3. don't expect anything to run stable with it, except of course its own "Splendid" software, which then mucks up anything else and creates bottlenecks.

Joke over ;)

LOL --> I only buy Asus Motherboards (along with MSI and Gigabyte). Never had an issue, but I know alot of people who do. For US people, I know my setup works like a charm, I have built several HTPC (~1100 total) using my setup as a base and adjusting from there what the end user wants. I always recommend MP. v:D

Also, avoid 64bit OS, the codecs are not up to par imo for 64bit and there are more avaiable for 32bit, and if using mainly as HTPC, you wont need >4GB of RAM anyway (I use 2GB el cheapo Kingston and it does well). Therefore, the "benefits" of a 64bit os seem risky to me. But that all depends on ones setups too and how advanced one is technically.

Finally, I suggest buying "mainstream" products. I know "off brands" can save money and sometimes work just as well, but again, unless one knows...it can cause headaches down the road...I know...been there.

Solas

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I was in same situation with thread starter few years back and asked same question and got no valid answers. Then I listed possible candidates for tuners and made search to forum for each candidate. That way I found my tuner. When I read from forum than tt 3200 was working good for at least few people, I knew it was only matter of configuration. In these kind of software and forum, search is users best friend. There are only limited number of portal personel and there will allways be questions that we miss.

Br,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom