Why Cant I Stream!!!! Please Help Ahhhhhhhh (1 Viewer)

vv7

June 9, 2007
Hello everyone!

I love this program... i just set it up but i am getting SOOOOOOOOOOO frustrated trying to figure out how to stream a movie from my macbook pro instead of downloading it....
I have honestly looked around the forums and website for the last 1.5 hours and tried everything.... basically i have one of my share folders set up as an ftp folder which hooks up to my movies folder on my macbook pro... so when i try to play the video file, it asks me if i want to download it to my computer, but when i hit no, it doesnt do anything, it just goes back to the file index.... the only way i can actually play something from my laptop is downloading it which is ridiculous.... ANY HELP??!??! PLEAAAASSSEE man o man has this been frustrating!!! everything has been working just fine except for this!~!!!!!

thanks!!

TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version:
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version: xp
CPU Type: semperon 1900
HDD: 40gb system / 320gig storage
Memory: 512
Motherboard: nforce
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: nvidia 5200fx
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: on board
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: xp2000
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

vv7

June 9, 2007
oh and another thing is that i know stream shoudl work because when i simple navigate to my macbook pro through My Network places and open the file through vlc it works perfectly, so theres no reason why mediaportal shouldnt be able to do the same!!!

thanks!

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Don't set it up as an ftp folder, create a share to your movie folder and use the unc path to the folder instead. e.g. \\mymacbookpro\movies

It's the fact that you're using ftp that makes it download the whole movie before playing.

vv7

June 9, 2007
awesome, thanks man that was realllllllly annoying!!!!

However, my laptop has a password... where can you input the user name and password to access the laptops shared folder?

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Modify your share permissions on your laptop to allow Everyone read only access to the share.

Alternatively you could script a batch file to map a connection to your laptop, however I'd recommend the first option.

snaaps

April 7, 2008
Realy stuppid,

I use a the Xbox Media Centre and there you can watch movies from FTP servers.
So you don't have to download it first!

I have download mediaportal because i want also watch and record live tv.
But if its not possible to stream ftp of http movies its verry usless for me.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    snaaps:

I'm sorry you find MediaPortal useless. Unfortunately it can't be all things to all people.

If you'd like to see some improvement made to MediaPortal you could always make a polite request thread outlining your proposed feature. I'm sure if you thought about it for a moment you'd realise why posts like the one you've just made rarely motive the developers to help.

Good luck in the future,

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    to the OP, you could also just set up a share with full access to the Username that you have MP running under.
    Then nothing changes for anyone else (password still required) but for MP they get automatic access. then again, I don't know much about Mac at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom