Why does it need SQL Server? (1 Viewer)

fox_fsvlfs

December 17, 2010
Why does MediaPortal need SQL Server? Server stuff can eat a lot of resources and is running all the time (even when MediaPortal is off) :(

Will MediaPortal 2 still require SQL Server?

EDIT: What about SQL Server Compact Edition? It doesn't need separate installation and is just a bunch of dlls redistributed with application, could it be an option? Take a note that I don't know for what MediaPortal actually uses SQL Server.

Mew

Portal Pro
January 11, 2007
Hertfordshire
Home Country
England England
Hi fox_fsvlfs

The TV Server part of MediaPortal uses MySQL by default (this used to be MS SQL Server Express and this can still be used if preferred). It uses the database to hold details of TV tuning parameters, channel info, EPG, recorded programme info etc. I think it uses this so it is accessable for clients both on the same PC and on a network (as a lot of people run MediaPortal as a multiseat setup).

My understanding is that MP2 will extend the server / client architecture further. I don't know what database will be used (I am guessing MySQL still). I think this will extend to a number of the other databases (such as music) which currently use SQL Lite as I believe that does not handle concurrent updates from multiple users very well.

Mew

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom