WHY don't wide skins work right on my HTPC? (1 Viewer)

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 RC2
    MediaPortal Skin: ONLY BlueTwo works!
    Windows Version: WinXP-Home/SP2
    CPU Type: AMD 2500 O'Cd to 3100+
    HDD: Various -- 2.4TB
    Memory: 2 x 512MB ValuRAM
    Motherboard: Abit KD7-RAID
    Motherboard Chipset: VIA
    Motherboard Bios:
    Video Card: ATi AIW 9600XT
    Video Card Driver: Catalyst Suite 5.4
    Sound Card: On-board
    Sound Card AC3: On-board Optical out
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: ATi HDTV-Wonder
    1. TV Card Type: ATSC/NTSC + A/V
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR-1600
    2. TV Card Type: ATSC/NTSC
    2. TV Card Driver:
    Power Supply: Antec 430W
    TV: Sony VPL-VW10HT PJ
    TV - HTPC Connection: YPrPb

I've been evaluating MP for my HTPC. I like it a lot and have been patient... learning how to use it. I recently looked into using the BlueTwo Wide skin and found it would get all weird. The border around the TV window for My-TV would get pixelated and the text in the TV-Guide would as well. I've subsequently downloaded other RC2 skins and they all get weird on my system -- the common thread is my system!

I'm still using Catalyst 5.4 on my AIW 9600XT is that the issue? I'd posted some thoughts here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showpost.php?p=182860&postcount=24

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is your video card actually doing a 1:1 pixel ratio and outputting 1366x768 (this is what i have found by searching net so correct if wrong) try using reclock to make sure these settings are being used, as sometimes the ATI\Nvidia drivers do not like these settings.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    Actually, I'm not. My current PJ is incapable of 1:1 pixel mapping. I'm using a custom-sized (1184x666) 720p-timing for my main display and a 1440x900 for my 19" widescreen. I switch between them with a profile but don't run them at the same time. I thought MP would scale the skins... I found this section http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/SkinArchitecture#head-f8b5fa2b117d0b2ec29524c5d1ff197c73772f46 which states: Here is an partial references.xml file for example purposes. It shows that this skin is designed for a 720x576 pixel display (MediaPortal will scale it to whatever display the end user has) and the version is 0.1.0.15. It also contains the default values that will be used for any button control in any other skin file within this skin folder:

I'm not trying to argue... it could be my old display driver, the AIW 9600XT, or the skin that has issue scaling. I know if I drag the window at the home page, it resizes. It's after going to My-TV or the TV-Guide when the fonts, the little man, those MP-graphics on the top-left, and the TV preview border get all pizelated/funky and unreadable.

Would using the native resolution of a skin sidestep the need for my video card to resize? Wouldn't that be the case ONLY if I run in FULLSCREEN mode? I own a new Sony AW15 and plan on going to its 1280x720 format really soon. Should I select a skin with 1280x720 native, or what are you suggestng?

Thanks

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    I may have some insight... Selecting various levels of Dx Video Hardware Acceleration have an effect, as does using the MPV video codec instead of the Cyberlink (ATI) one. However, the down side is CPU usage goes up (from 23% to 60% on 1080i) and broken or jittery video does as well (eventhough CPU isn't pegged). I would have thought my system is good with 1GB RAM, 3100+ and AIW 9600XT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom