Why DX9? (1 Viewer)

SquareEyes

Portal Member
August 16, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal is currently making use of DX9 quite extensively. I cannot understand why this is so. MP is a media application, not a cutting edge game.

There are several reasons why dropping the DX9 hardware requirement would be beneficial:-
- HTPC clients should be quiet, machines suited for the living room (no fans, no hot/noisy graphics cards)

- HTPC clients should be small. The cases do not have room for large graphics cards
- HTPC clients should be cheap compared to the server. Sound, graphics and network all on the motherboard.
- Most small factor motherboards do not fully support DX9
- HTPC clients should be power efficient. Stop global warming by dropping DX9!

Would it be possible to compile a TV client which does not require DX9, or have a flag we can change in the settings?
Please, Please, Please.

SquareEyes

Portal Member
August 16, 2007
Home Country
Not too light I hope. I would still like the following features:-
- TV
- TV Guide
- Channel changing
- Recording/scheduling

I don't think any of the above are graphic intensive features. Am I right?

SquareEyes

Portal Member
August 16, 2007
Home Country
MPTvClient is not ideal for armchair use.
If this app could be packaged as an MP plugin then this may be a solution.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    - HTPC clients should be quiet, machines suited for the living room (no fans, no hot/noisy graphics cards)
    Most gfx cards nowadays got HW acceleration of SD - and several got HD acc. - and they dont get very hot

- HTPC clients should be small. The cases do not have room for large graphics
    Integrated will do - even more in the future? Also: AMD is developing a combined CPU+GPU (Fusion)

- HTPC clients should be cheap compared to the server. Sound, graphics and network all on the motherboard.
    A mATX with integrated gfx is not expensive?

- Most small factor motherboards do not fully support DX9
    Yes they do... now; all newer ATi/AMD, nVidia and Intel (probably VIA and perhaps SIS to?)

- HTPC clients should be power efficient. Stop global warming by dropping DX9!
    A 690G + low end CPU does not use a lot of power - perhaps less than most PVR STBs?

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Correct! No VMR9/EVR = no hardware acceleration = much more cpu load = more power consumption = more heat.

My 690G and NV6150 boards draw less than 50 watts - what more?

SquareEyes

Portal Member
    August 16, 2007
    Home Country
    For very light computing, additional components mostly lead to more power usage.

The point I'm trying to make here is that I can do the following without DX9:
    - Watch TV streams in VLC
    - Watch movies in Media Player Classic
    - Listen to MP3 in WinAmp

So why does MediaPortal require DX9 to do the same and force me to upgrade my gfx card in the process?

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Rofl - I guess with squared eyes you don't notice the quality difference between the ugly deinterlaced VLC tv and VMR9... Despite of VLC's higher cpu usage. However why don't you just use it then?

SquareEyes

Portal Member
    August 16, 2007
    Home Country
    I simple want the elegance of a tiny/quiet HTPC client and the ease of use of MediaPortal, A single interface for all my living room entertainment needs.
    DX9 is currently a showstopper for me and many others.

I haven't viewed VLC and VMR9 side by side but I trust that VMR9 is much nicer to the eyes, even my squared ones. The problem is, at 4m from the TV, can anyone notice the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom