Why i need a TV if a HTPC is better? for a room . (1 Viewer)

BlackT3ck

April 18, 2007
Home Country
I just wondering , if i change my little 13" tv in my home master room with a small-foot-print pc with a 22" LCD computer monitor with DVI connector , and use the media portal client , i have the same brightly resolution , like a TV quality?

** before that suppose i install the TV server in a another computer with all the specs and propitiated configuration , and configure pretty well the client. :cool:

Because if this is true , why i need a TV in the rooms , instead that i installs small-foot-computes with bigs LCD monitors and no Tuners , except: the main server .

BT
:D:eek:

mrkaras

Portal Pro
December 9, 2006
Home Country
I think crt TVs and CRT monitors would show differences in brightness/clarity but with LCD there is no such difference (or minimal anyway) so yes an LCD monitor should give a good TV picture.

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
An LCD monitor (esp. a computer one) will usually NOT so a very good TV picture since TV has very low resolution and monitor just tries to upscale it (badly) or the computer tries to do it (even more badly).

Also black on LCD is not black.

mrkaras

Portal Pro
December 9, 2006
Home Country
While that is true, I don't think it is very obvious the mismatched resolution on pictures (it mostly shows up on text). and the black is not black, true but either you go for plasma (usually not 22' or cheep) or CRT (not small footprint or particularly clear (in comparison to LCD)). I think the glare on the glass of a CRT would kill the apparent black level much worse than the slightly poorer black level of a LCD without glare.

a TV may be better for the quality aspect (regardless of how big or small the difference is you want the best quality/price don't you?) but be aware that the samsung TVs have a are labelled as having a DVI plug (the plastic is even stamped with "DVI\HDMI") but will not actually accept DVI from your computer. one other brand does this also, I don't remember which one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom