Why is it soooo hard of Media portal to do this??? (1 Viewer)

kevon27

Portal Pro
January 26, 2006
I can't figure out why is it so hard to get and Electronic program guide to work correctly in MP?

I downloaded beyond Tv 4 today, and the setup was beautiful.
I just type in my zip code, check directv and in about 2 more steps, I have my accurate EPG.
Why the heck MP can't be this simple??
Someone please explain?

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Is the file being outputted a standard xmltv file, called tvguide.xml and is it being put in the Mediaportal\xmltv folder?

Otherwise what error message are you getting when importing the file in MediaPortal.

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    You first need to understand that Beyond tv V4.0 is just that... version 4.0. MP, however is 0.2. It is still in beta form. I am sure when MP gets to version 4.0 it will have something like that. In the mean time, setting up one of the EPG grabbers really isn't that hard. It took me all of 15 minutes to set it up and have it download 2 weeks of my guide.

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Hi kevon,

We are trying to work towards making the EPG easier to setup. However, this is not such an easy task. The US is one of the more problem matic areas because there are next to no good free, non-login tv guide web sites.

Also do you know how many zip codes there are in the US? I don't, but I do know that there are 6 major different timezones. This and the number of stations is huge. Just trying to give you an idea that it quite a big task.

The one free site that I have found is tv.yahoo.com. Please see if you can find all the channels you need there and then look here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=9112 for instructions on adding them to WebEPG. Or post in one of the existing threads on getting xmltv working (hint there is a sticky one at the top of the EPG forum).

/James

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom