Why mess with the Home menu ? (1 Viewer)

mattyd

Portal Member
June 7, 2007
8 hrs from the Big Prawn & 5 hrs from the Big
Home Country
Was it really necessary to modify the home menu ?
When you use the remote to move between the items in the home menu the animation of scrolling its contents and highlighting the next menu item is now much faster and as a result harder on your eyes.

Was this really necessary ? There was no bug and did anyone even ask for a change to this ?

mattyd

Portal Member
June 7, 2007
Home Country
Latest SVN and blue two.

I mean the first thing you do when starting media portal is navigate up or down to myVideos or myTV or whatever.
This was pleasing to the eye as the focus shifted from one to the next item.
Now its to fast and does not flow properly.

I'm just curious how & why changes like this are made when i would have thought there are other areas like bugfixes that should have priority.

regards
Matt

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Was it really necessary to modify the home menu ?
    When you use the remote to move between the items in the home menu the animation of scrolling its contents and highlighting the next menu item is now much faster and as a result harder on your eyes.

Was this really necessary ? There was no bug and did anyone even ask for a change to this ?
    at first calm down please! :)
    :D

the animation you can see on the homescreen is a example of an animation type called Tweeners.

the example was placed there to show the designers how it works. expect it to be tweaked in the near future.
    soon a offcial blog entry will follow too (i know that the skin developers out there will go crazy with this animation ;) )

When you are testing a automatically generated development snapshot , you should always expect that "something doesnt work as you expected".
    simply because it is WorkInProgress.

Just be patient please.

note:
    this thread has been moved, because it was not a proper bugreport. please read and follow the "HowTo report a bug" next time.
    :D

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm just curious how & why changes like this are made when i would have thought there are other areas like bugfixes that should have priority.

My guess would be that sometimes the MP devs just want to do something new. Don't you think that as the major contributers to this project they have creative right just to try something new. I don't feel I'm in any position to even suggest how the major contributors to this project should prioritize their personal time. Just because we use the software doesn't mean we're owed an explanation for each and every change in test releases.

mattyd

Portal Member
    June 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Cmon mcranenz,
    surely you would agree that if "somethin aint broke dont fix it".
    You say....

"I don't feel I'm in any position to even suggest how the major contributors to this project should prioritize their personal time".

How can MP move forward if developers take two steps backwards.

See, the thing is your ARE in a position to say something. Thats what MP developers not only want but need.
    As a programmer myself i often change stuff because i can, not because i should.

You say...
    "Just because we use the software doesn't mean we're owed an explanation for each and every change in test releases".

Fine, but how about, "this is what we think we should do", do you, the users think it needs attention ?".

I mean i know why its been done. Simply because it can be done.

At some point a developer has to say that people are happy with this so lets move on to more constructive things.

Anyway, this is just my gripe. I love the software and i thank the guys for developing it.
    Surely they understand that from time to time people will criticise things that are done.
    Dont get defensive about it just accept it for what it is, a critisism.

regards
    Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom