Wide screen TV resolution / aspect ratio settings (1 Viewer)

generator

Portal Pro
July 17, 2006
Leeuwarden
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.1.0 SVN Build 11942
MediaPortal Skin: MePo Green 4:3
Windows Version: Windows XP MCE SP2
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 (2,40GHz)
HDD: Internal: DiamondMax Plus8 (40GB), External: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 (320GB)
Memory: Twinmos 1024Mb DDR PC3200 CL2.5 (2x 512MB)
Motherboard: Asus P4P800-VM
Motherboard Chipset: Intel 865PE
Motherboard Bios: AMIBIOS 08.00.09 (09-05-05)
Video Card: XFX Geforce FX5200 AGP8X 128Mb TV-out
Video Card Driver: Nvidia 6.14.10.9371 (22-10-2006)
Sound Card: Onboard audio
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
TV Card: Medion 7134
TV Card Type: Analog
TV Card Driver: 2.3.0.5 (11-6-2003)
Remote: Medion X10
TV: Samsung Plano (26.4" widescreen CRT)
TV - HTPC Connection: S-Video -> Scart

I've recently replaced my samsung plano CRT with a widescreen version (same height, only now it's wide screen). But now i've got the following problem.

I cannot get the image on my TV right. Somehow the image is always stretched, even when I manually input a widescreen resolution.

Also, when I start mediaportal, the tekst is barely readable (i use the widescreen MePo green skin). I can't believe that by switching to a widescreen TV, i get a lower resolution.
Also the mepo's on the home screen seem slightly stretched in height.

Can anyone tell me how to set the proper resolution for this TV? Is there maybe a way to change the aspect ratio in the video card settings?

Maybe you guys have some other tips for using mediaportal with a widescreen TV?

Jetboy

Portal Pro
April 15, 2005
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
PAL widescreen resolution is 1024*576. You'll have to create that as a custom resolution in your graphics card settings for it to work. Basically, you can set it to any 16:9 resolution and the image will be scaled to tv resolution. And if you get stretched image in MP, set the pixel ratio in MP settings (not configuration, but settings in MP). Good luck!

generator

Portal Pro
July 17, 2006
Leeuwarden
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Thx for your tips. I tried the 1024*576, and the image doesn't seem stretched anymore! Only problem now, the resolution is to big for the TV so i have to scroll across the screen.

I've tried to add the custom resulutions 720*405 and 800*450 in the nvidia settings. But i get a message that these resolutions can't be added. Maybe there are some other standard widescreen resolutions that I can try?

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    your TV will most likely be still 720x576. Therefore you need to set it to 16:9, enter MP's GUI config and adjust the square until it's 1:1. Use a ruler there or do some maths since your eyes will trick you!

Of course you shouldn't use a 1366x768 widescreen skin then ;-)
    The "normal" MePo / B2 will be faster and better to read on your TV

generator

Portal Pro
    July 17, 2006
    Leeuwarden
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thank you! I always thought widescreen skins were for all widescreen TV's. But i guess it's just for high res TV's?
    The aspect ratio is fine again when i use 720x576 with the standard MePo skin. The text is also readable, but still not very good. Is there any way to make this any better?

Jetboy

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thx for your tips. I tried the 1024*576, and the image doesn't seem stretched anymore! Only problem now, the resolution is to big for the TV so i have to scroll across the screen.
    You can get rid of the scrolling in the nvidia software by setting the number of active pixels to 1024 as well. I don't remember exactly where to find that but it's somewhere in advanced settings where you add custom resolutions. I find this approach better than using 720*576 as it will render your entire windows session in 16:9 with correct aspect ratio, not just MP.

hansdegit

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2005
    Schagen, The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Or try ffdshow to resize to your native resolution. Don't know if you got the horsepower to do so...

I use ffdshow to resize the picture to 1360x768, which is my native resolution. My settings are: Lanczos 2.0, Luma sharpen 2.0, aspect ratio correction 1 to 1.77.

Superb image. Very detailed, much better than standard PAL, or DVD's for that matter.

DJ_Spray

January 11, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Hansgedit: I guess what you describe correspond to my problem. I have just installed MP (really looks great) on my widescreen LCD monitor (native resolution 1440x900). I can't get the image to show completely (crop roughly only the left half of the image), unless I set my resolution to 1024x768. You are talking about the ffdshow filter, where do you set that?

thank you, I think that if I can get my computer to run at native resolution this app, I will really love it!

DJ_Spray

January 11, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    quick update: I have made a little batch file that automatically change the resolution to 1024x768 and then resets it after I quit MP (using MultiRes tool). Works great!
    now only problem is running DVD.... I'll dig that. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom