widescreen with s-video (1 Viewer)

dipunm

Portal Pro
August 6, 2006
I kno, I kno, s-video doesnt support widescreen (at least not with my graphics card: ati radeon 9250)

this is why id like an option to sort of cheat:

when i play a film, if i put it on original aspect ratio, it plays as a small screen inside a black window, this got me thinking:

could we make mp think it was inside a widescreen box and put black borders above and below. this way you can put the tv on zoom and everything will fit as if it were widescreen... the normal 4:3 channels would have borders above, below and on the sides.

going to the next level (if possible) would be to allow changing aspect ratio within this 16:9 box like you do currently (except all aspects are relative to fullscreen atm)

i would love it if this could be applied also to the skin... would be so handy so if any1 can give me feedback or if you think this should be an option available in mp, please reply THANX ;)

btw, i cant connect my pc any other way but s-video

deebo

Portal Pro
April 19, 2006
you can have a 4:3 resolution and use the "stretch" function on your tv and make MP output "fake" anarmophic picture

while running MP go to setup and display calibration, set the bounds and when asked, make the square actually square

(use the configuration in mp gui, not the configuration.exe)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    dipunm said:
    btw, i cant connect my pc any other way but s-video

If you cant use VGA, Component or DVI/HDMI then if you are in Europe, why not buy a VGA->SCART cable? Thats what i use currently with my old 28" CRT.

Jetboy

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    dipunm said:
    I kno, I kno, s-video doesnt support widescreen (at least not with my graphics card: ati radeon 9250)
    I've got widescreen on s-video from my GF FX5200. I don't know if it's possible on an ati but on GeForce you just make a custom resolution that is widescreen, like 1024x576. Then you have to set "active pixels" to 1024 as well, and it will squeeze your widescreen resolution into an anamorphic 4:3 signal. Use the "wide" setting on your tv to display it as a true widescreen signal. This way, not only MP but also your entire windows session will be 16:9.

dipunm

Portal Pro
    August 6, 2006
    I've got widescreen on s-video from my GF FX5200. I don't know if it's possible on an ati but on GeForce you just make a custom resolution that is widescreen, like 1024x576. Then you have to set "active pixels" to 1024 as well, and it will squeeze your widescreen resolution into an anamorphic 4:3 signal. Use the "wide" setting on your tv to display it as a true widescreen signal. This way, not only MP but also your entire windows session will be 16:9.

where do you set "active pixels"?... if i cant do this, its a problem cos otherwise i get the page going offscreen and moving the mouse moves the screen... alos i cant set CUSTOM pixels but there is a widescreen pixel setting which i can use but like i sed: panning :mad:

If you cant use VGA, Component or DVI/HDMI then if you are in Europe, why not buy a VGA->SCART cable? Thats what i use currently with my old 28" CRT.

never thought of that, will giv it a thought (see fist the cost etc.)

RESULTS

It all works... sort of. the films etc work but the streams dont get affected. is this a bug?... is there mayb a plugin i can use or a codec even. *fixed in latest svn*

Ive noticed that mp treats streams different to other video cos you cant change aspect ratio and you dont get anything really except you can controll the speed and skip 'tracks' (video tracks). the ideal situation is that you can use streams the same way because i use the launch plugin alot and it would be nice for example the changing of background also isnt available... it ses the video isnt right format or sumthing.

thanks for all your input, it helps alot, hope to see more replies ;)

streaming video is now affected (might hav been my pc but dunno cos im running now the latest svn)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom