WiFi remote control - any ideas? (1 Viewer)

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It has been discussed here and in other forums, but I would like to bring it up again. I was looking for a way to use a PPC / smartphone as a remote for MP. It seems the only existing solution yet is to use VNC as a remote desktop. I have also found some interesting products, which sadly focus only on remote controlling WMP / Media Center. I think it would be awesome to have something like this in MP. Does anybody know of a solution?

Cheers,
    splatterpop

moesfeld

Portal Pro
    September 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I was thinking about this one too. What about usingTHIS Program with the Touchscreen-Plugin. But really good CPU would be reqired.
    I tested it on Vitual PPC and worked out showing the Touchscreen Plugin on the PPC screen, but the input didn´t work because the Touchscreen-Plugin prevents the Mouse being on the scecondary (or third) Monitor.
    Allso there were some Resolution Problems because the Secondary Innobec emulated screen has a fixed Resolution of 1200something x something and can´t be changed to 640 or 320. So it will emulate 1200something x something on the PPC ending up in very high CPU-usage.

The other Idea I had would be using the Girder NetRemote but I dont know how that will work with dynamic content from Mediaportal (i.e. The Menues, File listings etc.....) for a fixed Layout It wouldn´t be to difficult. I´ll give it a shot in the Summer when I got some time left and get my hands on a PPC.

Would be nice If you have a PPC to test the first idea a little with it cause I testet on Virtual PPC only.

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My feeling is there are two major approaches to remote controlling:

1. emulate keystrokes
    + like classical IR remotes
    + one-way, no feedback, you need the main screen to see what you are doing

2. replicate the desktop
    + user feedback through screen replication
    + bandwidth, DirectX, resolution issues

What I have in mind is something in between the two.
    + replicate the controls *needed* to the remote screen, maybe you would not want to use the fullscreen video on a remote
    + interact with the buttons / skin / whatever user interface there is on the application side

So maybe this could be some MP plugin in combination with a client application on the remote?

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Nice little thing, besides, a perfect excuse for getting an iphone at last... :)

Seriously, it looks like a remote keyboard/mouse, you still need the main screen, am i right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom