Wiki glossary with submenu (1 Viewer)

Group Glossary terms in Alphabetical sections

• Yes - by letter (i.e. A, B, C...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - by group letters (i.e. A-C, D-F... X-Z)

• No - I like scrolling a single list

• Total voters

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
January 21, 2010
Braunschweig
Home Country
Germany Germany
I just opened the folder labeled glossary in the wiki site navigation and it lists a huge bunch of links sorted by alphabet, but it is a lot already and somehow I got the feeling that it will not become in time.
Maybe it is a good idea to add submenus for each letter to get quicker navigation.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi MrCrabs
    Thanks for the suggestion, it is a good idea. We are still trying to refine and improve the overall structure of the Wiki and it is always a consideration whether or not to add more levels and break things up into smaller sections, or have things more visible/accessible on the Navigation Panel at a higher level.

However, I think in this case you are totally right, because it is really hard to see/scroll the list of all those Glossary Terms!

We try to link terms used on Wiki pages to the specific glossary page as much as possible, so you don't need to scroll through that huge list normally.

We even have some 'discussion' ;) about which terms to include, as many of the current ones are common terms you can access easily via Wikipedia, or other websites. So we could link to those pages and only list and define terms specific to MP or used in a specific way in MP. What do you think?

We have also been investigating ways to auto add links to Glossary terms, but we need someone who knows javascript to help and we have not found anyone willing yet!

EDIT: I added a poll so anyone can express their opinion.

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, I think a small glossary with only a very little amount of good links should be the best way. That idea got my vote.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I should have mentioned that the 'issue' is that IF we manage auto links to terms, that might only work for terms in our MP Glossary, so we have not removed any yet. We were waiting/hoping to find a javascript expert and ask their advice before removing so many terms.

Also, although the Wiki does automatically update links when pages change/move, it does not remove them when a page is deleted. So they all have to be updated manually and at present there is no easy way to find them all :( There is a feature to show all pages linked to a page (i.e. a glossary term) BUT that feature cannot be implemented in our current Wiki skin (we are hoping for a fix for that in MindTouch!) So updating all the links to pages we remove would be quite a lot of work at present. Restructuring them by alphabetical sections should not result in broken links.

So that is another consideration ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom