Will an under-powered PSU cause system to whine? (1 Viewer)

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I had to do a quick replacement of the PSU in my main HTPC. I installed a 430w Antec with a 120 mm fan to replace a Thermaltake 500w that was becoming increasingly unstable (power spikes) .. at least that's what the MoBo reported. But now the system has a high pitched whine that is noticeable when the audio is turned down, but is not fan noise. It's odd, but if I should hold the CPU fan still, the whine goes away after a second or two (not immediately).

The load on the system is a 64w CPU, 5 SATA HDDs, an IDE HDD and DVD drive, and a single analog tuner.. There are also 3 USB powered units: IR and RF transceivers, and a PCtoTV video convertor.

Last edited:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Whine is usually power supply, a transformer winding not fully secured, which allows resonation, easily confirmed by putting the old psu back.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the tip... I noticed a bit of debris in one of the PSU case screws, so I loosened it and tightened the screw down... now all I hear (with the PC cover off) is the faint whirl of the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom