Will Media Portal Always be free? (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

I would like to know what can FREELOADERS like myself do to ensure MP will remain free, so we would NEVER, EVER have to spend a single cent to get great htpc front end software?? :p

JulianBuss

Portal Pro
November 14, 2004
get involved. Do forum work, test the software, write useful bugreports, contribute to the documentation in the Wiki, do graphic art, translate the software to other languages, post tips & tricks and if're a developer, fix bugs and add good code.

It's that simple. Every single contribution counts.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Well... and you can donate hardware or some bucks of money. But then you'd have to spent some cents... :roll:

But be assured, MP will ever and ever be free, as Frodo said. And I think we can really trust this marvellous guy. Well... otherwise I would not spend so much time here. To be honest, the devs despise those guys who took advantage of the open source community and are now "trying" to get money with it. Let's see who lives longer than the rest...

You can also go to IRC to give support to users. That option was missing.

talos

Portal Pro
August 24, 2004
UK
It's published under the GNU general public licence and the source code is freely available. What more can you ask for? :)

A

Anonymous

mPod said:
To be honest, the devs despise those guys who took advantage of the open source community and are now "trying" to get money with it. Let's see who lives longer than the rest...

Yes, I know the software to which your referring, and I am not even going to do them the favour of mentioning their name. It was a cowardly act of them to hide under the guise of free software and have a community develop plugins, to then turn around and start charging for their software. :evil:

But, meh, MediaPortal is now here, its ALWAYS going to be free, and its already heaps better than said other product. :twisted:

A

Anonymous

orphic2 said:
mPod said:
To be honest, the devs despise those guys who took advantage of the open source community and are now "trying" to get money with it. Let's see who lives longer than the rest...

Yes, I know the software to which your referring, and I am not even going to do them the favour of mentioning their name. It was a cowardly act of them to hide under the guise of free software and have a community develop plugins, to then turn around and start charging for their software. :evil:

But, meh, MediaPortal is now here, its ALWAYS going to be free, and its already heaps better than said other product. :twisted:

And what is the name of that other product? And why can't the same thing happen to media portal? Can the creators of MP resist a chance to make a lot of cash?

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Let me get this clear
    Mediaportal is opensource, licensed under GPL and will always be free
    I have no commercial plans or thoughts. I believe in open source, the community and really like that a opensource project like MP is competing with commercial products already.
    So be assured, MP will be free 4ever

Frodo

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

kevon27 said:
    And why can't the same thing happen to media portal? Can the creators of MP resist a chance to make a lot of cash?

because the other products where closed source. MP is open source, so it never can be used to make cash (out of the binaries). Sourcecode is free and can always be compiled for yourself. :)

Flip.

A

Anonymous

Damn right, there is a HUGE difference between freeware and opensource.

Like Frodo said, this is released under the GPL, I suggest you have a read of it.

Its good to see this reassurance coming from 'da man! :twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread